Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Mainspring Number Please :) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
I have an 0 size Waltham Serial #16644987 in need of a mainspring. Would someone be able to tell me the part #? It is a model 1907, grade 165.
Many thanks!

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
I beleive that it is #2230.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Mike is correct "2230" but they are listed in four lengths;
8 inches long at .14 mm thick
9 inches long at .13 mm thick
9 1/2 inches long at .12 mm thick
10 inches at .11 thick

This spring is listed as being for size 0-3/0 so I would presume the longer length would be for "0" size.Only speculation on my part though.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Hmmm - my Waltham factory mainspring chart says that the #2230 mainspring is 12-3/4 to 15-3/8 inches long with a width of 2.05 mm to 2.10 mm. Thickness (strength) ranges from 0.11 mm to 0.14 mm.
In my 1924 Waltham material catalog they only list a 15"-long spring, so I would guess that the shorter one is later than your movement. Be sure to measure the old one (or use a depth guage) to know which width will fit the barrel.

[Width and thickness have been corrected in response to Kenny's post immediately below. Color my face red].

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Jerry,
My info is from the "Swigart Manual". It lists the width on all four as 2.06 mms. You have your decimal misplaced on the widths. Would be 2.05 - 2.10.

Grant,
As Jerry says better measure each dimension.

Confused

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Kenny - you are right, of course. I copied the numbers from the chart without thinking if they made sense. The columns were not labeled, but another version indicates the numbers are in "centimeters". I have corrected my post above to avoid confusing people more. The lengths I posted are still correct, with that column labeled "inches".

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks Gents. I'll measure!
Grant

Grant Perry

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Okay:
I measured it up, and here is what I found:
1-Length=15 inches
2-width=2mm
3-thinckness=.14mm
Given all the information above, can someone tell me how to/where to oder the correct spring from?
Thank you!
Grant

Grant Perry

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Grant,
Here are two links that carry #2230 but I can`t figure which one is correct?

DASHTO Mainsprings

S. LaRose

Brian C. might be a source also.

Smile

Kenny