Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

TIMING MACHINES "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
I have read some of the earlier post about timming machines because I am planning on buying one. Keeping in mind I would be timming 16 and 18 size pocket watches as a hoby, what would you recomend?

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
IHC Member 229
posted
I have a few old Watchmaster's I have restored....G-7....G-11's...excellent for anything that's doing 18000 beats....trouble is...there heavy...figure 40lbs shipping from 08876...$100.00 ea.

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
Thanks for the offer Tony. I was actually trying to get some opinions (pros and cons)on different brands so I could make an informed decision when I buy. Anyone out there with an opinion on this subject??

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
IHC Member 229
posted
Ah,....I see.....it really depends on how much money you want to spend....most folks prefer the Vibrograf 100...200 series...readily available on Ebay...most of the Watchmaster are cheaper...but...most of them don't work....then there's the Tickoprints and Greiner machines...most of which are in need of repair...the above machines are all old stuff...used about 30-50 years ago....and can be purchased and brought to working order for about $100-$600...for about $300-$500...you can get a solid state Microset...folks who own and use these machine will swear by them...I got "hooked" on these old Watchmasters because they are cheap and easy to repair...and..there are so many "junkers" out there...there is a good supply of parts. Any other opinions?

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
posted
I have to agree about the old Watchmaster machines. I bought one on eBay and am still using it. I did have a problem with it last year,but I got it fixed by a radio repairman.If you buy one make sure you search on eBay for any paper rolls out there. Don't worry about me out bidding you,I think I have a life time supply bought up now. Big Grin BTW, John Duvall posted a users manual for the Watchmaster G-7 here.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Ronny,

If you are really going to get into watches a Timer is a good investment. I have a Microset Watch Timing Machine and it works great. I went with the clamping watch sensor. I haven't bought the software package.

I started off with a G7 and it was a great machine...Built like a tank and are easily serviced, and Tony's price cant be beat at 1/4 the cost of Microset. There are advantages of having the paper tape.

I moved on to the Microset to have something to take to marts to time watches with and help diagnose problems on the road. If you are looking for something small and portable with expansion capabilities, and a reasonable pricetag, the Microset is a good one.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I just got a Vibrograf B200, and use it with NCR paper tape rolls - so no inky ribbons.

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
I've got a G-47...

A bunch of the tubes were well worn or bad. Not to much for all new tubes. I've got paper- what what do I do about the ribbon?

Michael

Posts: 51 | Location: Hurst, Texas USA | Registered: January 14, 2007
IHC Member 229
posted
The ribbon on these old watchmasters are all the same except for the model 57....if it is not dried out and crumbling...you can un-roll the ribbon and re-ink it with some ink-pad ink mixed 50/50 with alcohol....a messy job ...but very effective in bringing back that clear dark black print these machines were famous for....OR....you can order a replacement...well not exactly....an AMANA Time Clock ribbon is just a hair narrower and not quite as long...I'll look up the # and source if you are interested.

posted
I think I can re-ink the old one or possibly just cut some sort of thin fabric(?) and ink it.

Tony, if you think the replacement will work and be easier.. then maybe you could provide the #.

Are all the paper rolls the same for these? I htink mine are 3.75" width and was hoping that maybe some sort of adding machine or cashregiser would be the same with.

Michael

Posts: 51 | Location: Hurst, Texas USA | Registered: January 14, 2007
IHC Member 229
posted
Mike...Sorry about the delay in responding...which machine are we trying to "re-ink"?

posted
Hi I am new to the chapter. I bought the windows timing machine software. Used a 3 foot piece of headphone cord with the 1.8 inch jack for the mic input on a computer. And bought a piezo transducer at radio shack. Took the transducer out of the plastic housing so that it will pick up the beat better.
I then put the watch on top of the transducer in a soft foam container and the whole thing works very well.
Not bad for a total cost of about $50.00.

Posts: 10 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: June 16, 2007
IHC Member 229
posted
Keven...sounds like interesting techology.....does your set-up pick up the beat of some of those small Ladies WW?

posted
Hi Tony. I have only tried one it was a ladies Bulova. It did well. Sometimes the program gives false reports. You need to do it a few times. It really works quite well.
I would like a witshi, too much for me at this time though.
Keven

Posts: 10 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: June 16, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I tried a PC timing program once - alas it was just not good enough. Each time I tried the same watch I got a different answer - and it was most unreliable when timing was in the 2 or 3 seconds/day range.

Get a good Vibrograf B200A - built like a tank, and still serviceable.

DM

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Hi guys: I have almost purchased one of the newer timing machines (the MictoTek I believe) but was leary about the software. Do you have to interface the machine with the software to tell if the watch is running fast or slow (and by how much) or does the machine provide that on the LCD display? I do not have a notebook PC and I do not want to carry my desktop down stairs to my work area. Thanks

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
For Pocket watch (and wristwatch) work buy the Microset $250.00 Model 2 set.

You can see this at; http://www.bmumford.com/mset/model2.html

Microset 2 gives you Maintenance-free Portability, MADE IN USA!!!, and;

1. "Beat" error readout of unerring accuracy.

2. Average Beat Rate you can set from 10 "ticks" to any high limit. (I use 30 which is 2 rotations of most escape wheels.)

3. INSTANT calculation and direct readout of "Seconds per day" aggregate timing error that is accurate "to a T".

4. Long-running (24 hr) "real average timing error".

I have the full compliment of Microset stuff, including three transducers the computer program, and the "tick" sound.

The above list I do Daily on my watch work just using the Alligator clip pickup provided with the Microset 2 set. (I do recommend the "Tick" amplifier option at small extra charge so you can "hear" what you see)

I must add that the Microset automatically detects and uses the beat rate of the timepiece tested, excepting some very slow running machines that you can pre-enter the rate instead.

The extra $500.00 or so for the (1990's serial coded) computer program and watch clamping fixture are nice, but usually not used, especially when the actual results of the above list can be had in a minute or less from any running mechanical watch, clock, or accutron by just "clipping" the alligator clip to the unit being measured.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I am new to watch timing do I need to start G7 or G11's ship to 37046

Posts: 54 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 09, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I have an Ace 100 that I got new for $100.00 +- on E Bay. It has all the information you need and works just fine even if it is Chinese.
But I must admit, I wish it had a printout.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011