WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    does counterfeit mobius oil exist? (Important Results from an Experiment!)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

does counterfeit mobius oil exist? (Important Results from an Experiment!) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everybody, Todd here,
i know this is a strange question but i bought some mobius oil on E-pray and it doesn't seem so great. i have compared how it feels on the finger to some old elgin m-56b i have. the elgin oil feels very fine between the fingers, not greasy. the mobius feels like cheap 3in1 machine oil. plus it evaporates!! i put 3 equal size drops on an old glass crystal and the mobius drop is shrinking. also, the bottle is not dated and i am told oils are dated so you don't exeed shelf life.
does counterfeit oil exist?
Todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1342
posted
I just checked my Mobius bottle. No date code. I bought my bottle from a jeweler supply house.
I just started the same experiment, both with Mobius and Elgin oils, and will check for evaporation. Confused

Posts: 143 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: September 16, 2009
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
here is the final result of the experiment. i put the old crystal with the oil samples under an unshielded uv light to speed up the reaction. E2 and the mobius sample are completely gone, just a film where they were. E1, the oldest elgin oil is still there, has formed a nice beautiful round dome. my vial of mobius is definitely fake, so upset. e-pray sks.
misspelling intentional.
Todd

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Todd,

Great test and the results speak for themselves. I'm sure that you have heard that if something seems to good to be true, it probably is ? Smile A small vial of Mobius 8000 oil sold thru major watch supply houses is an expensive adventure. Be prepared for sticker shock. But then again most things for watchmakers marked "Swiss" will give you a good case of sticker shock. Big Grin

I love this hobby but its not cheap!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks Serge, i just finished my first coa and used this oil. i am going to keep an eye on it to see what happens.
Todd

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
There are a ton of posts on oil. You can read them in this forum by searching for them. [Search Results: (267 matches)]

This last spring I spent several months in the hospital. Upon being released I finally sat down at the work bench and dipped my oilier and applied it to the watch. Nothing happened. When I checked the wells only one had oil left & the other two were dry. [See this post Flea Bay Moebius oil]. They make $15.00 to $18.00 on a 10 cent bottle of oil. Nice profit. Buy it from a watch dealer like Peter says.
Living in Seattle I gave it to friend who know a grad student in petroleum at the University of Washington and he checked it out. The report came back as food coloring in Salad oil.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of George Ulrich
posted
Wow thanks guys I never would have thought it so. I guess people will stoop to any level...

Posts: 119 | Location: Alton, Illinois in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Elgin Bottle of M56B is good stuff. I will get heck for this, but it makes good lube for most watches. The vapor pressure is miniscule.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I have same bottle of the Elgin M56B in my garage sitting in a box of some extra tooling I got from watchmaker few years back,
with some oil in it for last few years my garage in Arizona get hot with all the isolation still get hot
and that bottle is still with same level of oil in it no visible evaporation.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
In it,s day the Elgin m56 oil was thought to be the best oil made although i don,t know the shelf life. Moebius 9010 is a sub for the elgin oil should have all the same propites they say as the elgin oil . 2 more good oils are ther 9020/2 its good for staffs and gear train on larger pocket watches...
also the 9101 is good for the barrel arbors and center wheel .

i buy my oil from cas-ker supply house.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thank you Todd... Now I have to test the oils on my bench... fingers crossed.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012