Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

SYNTHETIC OIL "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
In trying to find out why my synthetic oil dried
up on me, with one unit even being returned because it was bone dry.
I would like to know how many members are using the synthetic oil sold on e Bay. Out of a 2000 +- member club someone else has to be using it. I was introduced to a student at the university of Washington who will have a Masters in petroleum in late February of 2015. He sampled the oil and just laughed at it. He promised to get me some information & also said to stop using if for watches. If you are using it I would suggest you stop. He is going to contact Moebuis and find out the info he needs to be able to recommend a good oil.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Patrick get some Moebius oil and your problem will be solved ..Some of the synthetic oil on ebay is junk and not made for watches..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Samie is right I have seen some pictures of so call synthetic oil in other watch forums its a joke not oil,buy the Moebius oil and you be happy.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert Lee Milliron
posted
FORGET e-Bay. Whatever you can't get right here on 185, get it from Jules Borel or Casker Co. They're the best.

Posts: 663 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
I now use Mobius 8000. I got a very large bottle of it.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
get a bottle of 9010, 941/2, HP1300 or D5, and high grade grease will do you for many years on PW.
I have lot more in my draw but I also cover a wide range of watches from tiny WW, automatics, chronographs to the complete range of PWs, I imagine there is a long list of lubes for clocks also.
8000 is ok home hobby work, but not the best and only for certain parts you need the others to.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I use Ethsynta 1-3, seems to be working fine.

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
On Chris's suggestion, I checked with Moebius, and on suggestions from them, Chris and others I purchased the largest bottle of blue that I could find. 941/2. I studied the suggestions of Moebius and read the paper work. Moebius 8000 is a hobby oil that can be used on Watches. Moebius 9010 is made for watches as is 941/2, HP 1300 & D S. I choose the 941/2 as it does not go to a viscosity change in very cold weather. 9010 is a little more extreme with the temps and I didn't feel I needed that. I don't know anyone that lives in Antarctica.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Pat,

you need them all as they are different oils/grease there is no one oil for all of the watch. 9010 is a main one a 2cc bottle used correctly will last years and have to throw it away to buy fresh.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I have had my tiny vial of Mobius 9010 for about 20 years. It's still almost full and seems fine.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
OK. I was surfing the web and got a bottle of 9010 but $100.00 +- is enough for oil this month.