Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial Removed next question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Flegel
posted
This is my first attempt at removing a dial. this one is lifting until I get to the 16 and 20 positions. Between the two at the bottom it appears to be attached with some kind of adhesive.Any suggestions? It is tight to the movement and doesn't want to budge.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
Picture of David Flegel
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dave,

If you have the screws loosened, use something thin and wide, like a razor blade, look though the gap between dial and movement and lever apart carefully working round raising slowly (set the blade in a little way to lesson chance of dial edge chip), sometimes if a dial foot is missing a dial dot maybe found, to stop it rattling and these are non destructive sickly pad. You may well find if it is that can be reused again!..

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of David Flegel
posted
Thanks Chris that worked with only a small chip that I caused. I think it went well for a first time. What is used for soaking and what is used to fill in chips. Some would say all my screws are loose.

Picture of David Flegel
posted
What do you use for soaking dirt out of hairlines and what is used to fill in chips?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dave,

Quick answer, do a search for “dial cleaning” has been many messages on it, and also look for one from Lindell on chip repair, he has a excellent write up about using wall filler.
Here a good cheap cleaner is Comet bathroom cleaner, not sure if you will have it there, also if you read to dial cleaning comments its straight into agent X, best to start with mild dish soap and warm water, then increase in strength to Agent X, also dials need to be flushed/soaked a good amount of time afterwards with fresh water to stop agent X continuing to work once trapped in the cracks !!..

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003