Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

NYS 'Excelsior' Chronograph fly back repair "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm trying to figure out why the stop start function does not work on this Excelsior. When I opened it up I found a spring that wasn't doing anything, so I've repositioned it. But, still not sure that's all that was wrong. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And after I changed it.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Next progress picture. Is this right?

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sadly I have no idea what to suggest. I took some "before" movement pictures prior to each stage of disassembly. It helped a lot.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Dave,
Thanks for looking.

I did re-assemble it and thought it was right. It worked, after a fashion, for a few times.
It would engage and dis-engage, but each time I had to pull the stem out to reset it.

Now, it's back to where I started.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dave, that spring looks like a hand-made replacement. You might "shelve" the project and look for a NYS chrono parts movement. (with the same complications, as I think a few of mine had different swiss part sets.)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Dave,
You're probably right. I'll watch for another parts movement.
Here's a picture I borrowed on the net that shows a better looking spring. But, the watch is not quite the same as mine either, but close.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1613
posted
Dave I have the spring if you want it..N/C

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Gary,
You're the man!

I sure do want it. And I'd be glad to pay for it.

Dave

How about that little cam on the top? I don't have that either, but not sure that mine is exactly the same.

(Just sent you an email)

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And a great big thank you to Gary Cochran,
I received the spring I needed and the watch is operating properly for the first time, since I've had it.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
This watch is the 11J version.

Dave Turner