Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cracked Jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I recently bought a non-running Hamilton 992 movement with a good staff. After taking it apart, the only thing I can find wrong is three cracked jewels. Does anyone know where I can find these parts?

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Buy a parts movement. Take the jewels out of the parts watch. My be someone would have the jewels. Witch jewels are broken??

Thanks

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The upper and lower center jewels are badly cracked. A third wheel jewel has a crack line in it, but the wheel turns freely.

For some reason, I have not been able to find any of these jewels from Hamilton parts suppliers, but I know that this is an easy fix for most watchmakers. Where do they get the jewels?

I am working on getting a parts movement, but I would also like to find a supply of jewels.

Thanks,

John III

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
John what is the serial number on your movement also do you know the pivot size on the wheel ,i might have what you need.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Samie,

Thanks for the offer. I have a 992 serial number 868851 which has a double roller. The upper and lower center jewels are cracked badly although the wheel spins freely when I assemble the top plate.

Measuring with a digital caliper, I get 0.86 mm on the dial side pivot and 0.43 mm on the bridge pivot.

John III

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
John send me a email i have trouble geting a new email too work but can reply just fine,,

I most likley have the parts you need if not i can replace the jewels in your settings

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
See what Samie comes up with and then let me know, I have boxes of loose jewels so let me know the sizes of the ID and the OD and the thickness and pivot size. It may take a few days to sort all this stuff but I might be able to help you.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
I've had good luck with donor jewels with screwed down settings. I've had zero luck harvesting jewels pressed in to the plates.

Crack or shatter them every time.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012