Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

shellac pallet fork jewels question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everybody, todd the novice here.
so, i am off on a new horological adventure.
i bought a non-running size 3 elgin. i have purchased a lot of non running movements as i figure that is how i will learn. anyway this one was almost free, and the case, dial and crystal are almost pristine. i took it apart and one of the pallet jewels was missing from the fork. i found the jewel inside the movement and attempted to shellac it and its partner back into place. sorry if i am a bit long winded, but it is not age, i have always been this way, i am french after all. anyway, back to my question, although the jewels seem secure i am not happy with the appearance of my job. am i doing something wrong?
Thanks
Todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
P.S. i have already put the pallet fork into a jar of alcohol to dissolve the shellac. going to try again.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Todd,

It looks like you need to get the shellac hotter. Just a very small drop will spread out, cool quickly and hold well. I haven't done this for a long time but it seems that the shellac needs to be liquid and the tool you're applying it with needs to be hot too. Someone else here with more experience than I might know better.

William

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
How old is the shellac you have Todd, if it is to old it will not melt and run correctly. When I first started out I purchased some online in the shredded form and never could get it to work well.

Decide to buy a box of sticks (these were very new), worked like a charm, much lower melting point then the hold stuff andf flowed correctly.

Cheers

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks guys, i am going to order some stick shellac and a proper combination tool. any excuse to buy a new tool is a good excuse.
will put this watch aside until my new toys arrive and dig into a non running Waltham that just arrived. i only buy non runners with good cases and dials. they are so cheap and i love figuring out what is wrong with them.
Todd