Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hands don't move? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
My Howard Series O 23j has a problem. It winds, sets, runs, and the second hand moves. Problem is the hour and minute hands sometime move but most of the time they do not. Any ideas? Thanks

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
The thing that first comes to mind is loose hour and minute hands,the second is a loose cannon pinion. Actually,probably the first thing to look at would to make sure the hour and minute hands are not hanging up on each other,that all hands have adequate clearance for each other as they make their rounds.

Oops,forgot to mention that the hands should ALSO be clear of the dial and crystal as they round.

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Sounds like the cannon pinion is a little too loose.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Dang, Sam beat me to the punch... Big Grin Big Grin

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I think canon pinion might be right. As I said, I can move the hands freely, and they turn perfectly after pulling out the lever and turning the crown.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
May just need a new dial washer.

Kenny

Kenny Drafts

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Larry,

I can usually tell when a cannon pinion needs tightening by setting the hands. If there is very little to no resistance, the cannon pinion is probably loose. If you feel normal resistance, then your problem could be somewhere else.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Hmmm? John, I do feel normal resistance. Without looking at it, my watchmaker thought it might be the dial washer. I'll have to take it in next week. Thanks.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Larry,

If the dial washer was bad or missing, then you might also experience some problems with setting the hands too. Especially if the minute wheel is not clamped like some earlier watches.

Try holding the watch upside down (dial down) and turning the hands back and forth. If you have an hour wheel or minute wheel slipping out of position you should see it and feel it. If the hour wheel becomes disengaged from the minute wheel pinion, the hour hand will be out of sync with the minute hand.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

[This message was edited by John D. Duvall on August 18, 2003 at 21:39.]

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003