Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can this movement be cleaned? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Overall, this movement is in great shape. The lettering is still crisp, although not red anymore. It's dirty! It appears to have what looks like fuel stains. Hard to see in my pic. Can these stains be cleaned off? Was this someones idea of lubrication? Just dump in some 30 weight oil?
Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Larry,
After the movement is cleaned, but before it is reassembled or lubricated, try rubbing the plates gently with an artgum eraser. These erasers (available at any stationary or artist's supply store) are very soft and will not scratch the plates or remove any of the damaskeening. Often it will brighten up the plates. Remember to use a soft brush to remove any traces of the eraser before reassembly.
Let us know how you make out, that is a beautiful 12 size Illinois. Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Ed, but I don't know. Me and watch stuff don't dance well together. How bout I just send it to you. Are you busy? Smile

Larry - a bull in a china shop when it comes to anything related to watches past looking.

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Some Illinois and Hamilton movements are silver plated, and I think the one above is probably an example of that. If it is, the solution is to completely disassemble the movement, remove all the steel parts (including jewel screws, etc.), de-grease it with acetone or naphtha, and then dip it in a chemical tarnish remover. It may be necessary to rub it a little with an artist's paintbrush, but do not polish it with a paste polish. After that, it should turn out fine.

In the old days, watchmakers would have used cyanide for such projects, but today there are other products available that are a lot safer.

==========================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002