Internet Horology Club 185
Can this movement be cleaned?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/3696011713

May 11, 2003, 17:12
Larry Soucheck
Can this movement be cleaned?
Overall, this movement is in great shape. The lettering is still crisp, although not red anymore. It's dirty! It appears to have what looks like fuel stains. Hard to see in my pic. Can these stains be cleaned off? Was this someones idea of lubrication? Just dump in some 30 weight oil?
Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)
May 11, 2003, 18:23
Ed Ueberall
Larry,
After the movement is cleaned, but before it is reassembled or lubricated, try rubbing the plates gently with an artgum eraser. These erasers (available at any stationary or artist's supply store) are very soft and will not scratch the plates or remove any of the damaskeening. Often it will brighten up the plates. Remember to use a soft brush to remove any traces of the eraser before reassembly.
Let us know how you make out, that is a beautiful 12 size Illinois. Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/
May 11, 2003, 18:56
Larry Soucheck
Thanks Ed, but I don't know. Me and watch stuff don't dance well together. How bout I just send it to you. Are you busy? Smile

Larry - a bull in a china shop when it comes to anything related to watches past looking.

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)
May 12, 2003, 14:59
Steve Maddox
Some Illinois and Hamilton movements are silver plated, and I think the one above is probably an example of that. If it is, the solution is to completely disassemble the movement, remove all the steel parts (including jewel screws, etc.), de-grease it with acetone or naphtha, and then dip it in a chemical tarnish remover. It may be necessary to rub it a little with an artist's paintbrush, but do not polish it with a paste polish. After that, it should turn out fine.

In the old days, watchmakers would have used cyanide for such projects, but today there are other products available that are a lot safer.

==========================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas