Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992b Setting Problem "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
I have a mid 40’s Hamilton 992b and the winding and setting clutch is stuck. I can not back wind or pull the set arm out. I have tried a drip of lighter fluid down the on the winding arbor. Still stuck.

How does that assembly come off the plate?

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1613
posted
Keith,
If you let mainspring down and take the big winding gear off and remove the mainspring barrel plate..There is a clip the holds the winding pinion in..If you just remove the clip the whole assembley should lift out..Also take the dial off and check the gears under it..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 48
posted
Gary

I did all that you said, and the assembly will not come out. I have pushed, pulled, pried (not so hard to do any harm)beat, poked and prayed still did not move. I am stumped on this one. Next total breakdown and a long soak.

Thanks

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1613
posted
Wow..They are usually very easy to lift out..Did the watch wind??I know you said it wouldn't turn backwards..If it winds I would try to find a stem that fits in the winding arbor and with the clip out I would turn it and try to lift at the same time..If that doesn't work I guess it time to soak..I can't think of anything else that would be holding it in..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 48
posted
Gary

Wow it was stuck good... I finely got the darn thing free and working like it should. The watch is now running, winding, setting and so far keeping time. This was a good investment as I purchase this 992b in a very nice #10 case, 536 dial with clipped 10 and beautiful black hour minute & second hands. I am so happy when thing work out, Thanks.

Keith

IHC Member 1613
posted
Yea!!!Glad you got it unstuck and fixed...Gary