Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Making a Balance Staff "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Sometimes when a replacement staff just isn't available it has to be made. Here are some pictures of a recent project. I got so wrapped up in it I neglected to take pictures of the completed staff, but you'll get the idea.

The first picture is a dental burr that I used for the staff. The steel is very high grade and will cut well with the carbide gravers I use.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Next is the turning of the burr to begin the process.

IHC Life Member
posted
Continuing to shape the staff

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a picture of the balance jewel. The pivot is sized for the jewel.

IHC Life Member
posted
The shoulder for the rivet must be a friction fit in the balance wheel hole.

IHC Life Member
posted
Another view

IHC Life Member
posted
The other side is made by turning the staff around and chucking it in the appropriate collet and then turning it to the correct size. I thought I had more pictures of the finished staff, but I can't find them and maybe just got so wrapped up in this that I forgot to take them. The owner tells me he'll be posting some pictures of the completed watch. There are at least six measurements that all have to be within .01mm (approx. 4/10,000") to make a good staff.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Great pictures and info Roger, thank you.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Roger, a good day for a project like that.
Nice pics!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1357
posted
Roger,my hat's off to you!!
Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Somebody once called Roger my "Yonker buddy", and that he is. Wink

I finally found a two-tone Seth that was both a duplicate in my collection and was nice enough to carry. It had a busted staff, and after a couple of weeks trying to find either an NOS staff or a donor Model 5, I wrote to Roger.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
He was willing to try fabricating the part from scratch, and you can bet that it probably wasn't easy.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
But in the end I knew I'd have a perfectly running watch, and I do - a two-tone Grade 182 Model 5 Seth Thomas that is keeping exact time, and a balance that is running both flat and round.

Thanks, Roger - another triumph!

Smile

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I know from first hand experience that Roger is a perfectionist with everything he does. I speak with him on a some what regular basis and remember well the time he spent on Eric's staff.
It was well worth the time and effort by the looks of the watch. Wink

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
Roger,

Beautiful work. Can you post a picture of your lathe? I'm interested in seeing the tool rest and graver tips...

I can only assume you are using an xy micrometer dial setup... rather than the free hand.

Thanks a mil, Paul

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks all for the kind words. This project was indeed a challenge, but with the right tools, determination and patience it proves that complex parts can still be made.

IHC Life Member
posted
Paul,

You can see my Boley lathe setup here (last picture): click

Ed Kitner took some pictures of my shop on one of his visits.

I do not use an xy micrometer, it is all done free hand under the microscope. I use Waller carbide gravers to get to within about .03mm of my measurement and use Gesswein finishing stones of various shapes and grits to get to the final measurement and polish pivots with diamond paste.

posted
Roger,

What do you use, and how do you sharpen your carbide gravers?

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Paul,

I have a separate Boley lathe setup for sharpening the gravers. They have to be sharpened regularly in order to perform well. The Waller wheel mounted in the lathe is impregnated with a diamond paste that you renew periodically by placing a small amount of paste on the wheel and using a hardened roller to impregnate the wheel. The holder for the graver is a separate tool I think made by K&D. Following are pictures that I hope will help.

IHC Life Member
posted
Graver Holder

IHC Life Member
posted
Holder placed in groove on lathe bed and graver brought into contact with diamond impregnated wheel.

IHC Life Member
posted
Waller kit box

IHC Life Member
posted
Typical contents of Waller kit. They usually come with two handles and several tips along with the wheel and diamond paste.

posted
Roger,

Apart from carbide, would a HSS graver cut the dentist burr you are referring to?

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
It could be done, but the graver will need much more frequent sharpening.

posted
Hi Roger. Question I have for you is that when you remove the staff to turn it around to work on the other side does the staff still run true or do you have to shellac it in cement brass and make it run true while the shellac hardens?? Need your expert opinion. Thank you. Karim

Posts: 25 | Location: Fresno, California in the USA | Registered: June 29, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Karim,

The work should be true when you turn the piece around if your lathe is in proper order. If you have any doubt and want to make sure, you can use a setup like I have pictured to make sure the piece runs true and then move it away to work or leave it in place to do as much as you want and move it when necessary.

IHC Life Member
posted
Second Picture

posted
Thank you Roger!

Posts: 25 | Location: Fresno, California in the USA | Registered: June 29, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Thanks Roger. You gave me some ideas.
You have a nice setup.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011