Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another visit with Roger Nolfe "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Last week I headed north to visit with IHC member Roger Nolfe. He had replaced a staff in a Hamilton 4992b for me and I was itching to get my hands on it. I also brought 2 problem watches that I could not handle. I brought the 4992b home with me but left the the 2 problem watches for Roger to work his magic on. He worked on the one private label most of the time I was there. It had major problems that would take more than the few hours I was there.

I always throughly enjoy my visits with Roger, he is a wealth of information and I learn a lot from him each time I visit.

Roger lives in Ticonderoga, NY, a beautiful drive from my home. If you have never seen the Lake George area of NY, it is beautiful any time of the year. Normally the lake is frozen solid this time of the year. This year there was much open water. In fact the whole northern part (where Roger lives) was open this year. Here is a pic of part of the lake just north of Tongue Mountain. A place where Rogers Rangers had a major battle during the French and Indian War.

Roger has been in his new "watchmakers" shop for about a year. He keeps adding equipment and benches all the time. I believe he has a tool for everthing, and then some! Cool

A few pics of his new digs.

Roger showing us his best side! Big Grin

This set up is what I need! I used it to polish a pivot on an escape wheel. It enlarged it so much even an old man, with bad eyes could see what he was doing.

I know other members of IHC185 have met over the past years and I can not help but wish we could all met some time. I am lucky to have Roger as close to me as we are. Only about 2 1/2 hours.

Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Jeesh!!! That shop is extensive and expensive.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Looks like there might be room for a fellow New Yorker to work there!!!

Are all those benches for the hired help! Smile

That is REALLY nice!!

Regards, Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Always nice to have Ed visit. The day goes by too fast though.

When the little woman told me I had to move from the living area of the house, (where I had what I thought was a rather modest work area), I decided to put together a nice workshop. It has worked out better than I expected.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008

posted
Me likes your setup - Roger...

The boss booted me from one of the upstairs bedrooms to the basement. Good times for sure!!! I like the work bench setup - could get more irons in the fire and get in big trouble - ha

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
Wow, very nice and such a view

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That's one impressive work room!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004