WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Straight Forward 2nd Reason My PW Stopped But What? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A while back I bought a Needs Repair LOT off ebay of different PW movements. This Hamilton 18s 254433 was a bit impressive because the dial is metal and the movement is also nice.

I started checking and noticed it was clean looking, not any big problem but beat weak and eventually stopped. So I did a HALF CLEANING.

Off came the dial to allow any oilable jewels and from the back OILED what I could. I pegged the balance jewel holes, and pithed the pivots on the balance.

Put it all together and the watch perked up and ran FOR A COUPLE DAYS.

Something now had me wondering because the power to the pallet EVEN WITH A FULL WIND WAS REALLY MISSING. The watch just went from good response to quick maintenance to all of a sudden........

So I said to myself now I can find proof that a half cleaning isn’t enough. But HECK MAN the difference was like night and day. SOMETHING WAS THERE, but nothing looked askew. So I mixed up my secret formula and started a tear down.

First the balance bridge, then the mainspring bridge and YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE THE GIFT UNDER THERE! As I write this the discovery is still where I found it but WHAT THE HECK IS IT?

Full Album.

http://imgur.com/a/fKuE879

THE CULBRET ?

Posts: 144 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2018
IHC Member 1613
posted
Looks like maybe a broken off dial foot???

Posts: 2003 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I don't know but it has to come out. Eek

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Just my 2 cents , could it be a broken winding stem , if it was in a swing ring case and the stem not pulled up when they raised the movement it snaps off a piece that size, is it square on one end ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
One more thing James , it would help if you could post the pics onto the site , it is our only way to save them ,they need to be about 640 pixels , I use my cellphone and it is the right size . there is also some help on the subject

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...56029761/m/380108351

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thanks Kevin .
Now I can try a full series within an album in one shot! I hope. I also see Debbie like google photos.

Also if I am using an ipad, in lieu of a desktop, or laptop, I would like to just locate a file right on my device. Resized of course!

Getting there,Kevin!

posted
The watch is totally running well. I have it in it’s case. My best guess (I somehow lost track of the part before I could clean it and photograph it, inspect it).

I believe it to be either a dial foot. Nothing else makes sense. It is shaped like a separated part of a second hand, but that would not be big enough. This thing was as bid in cross section as a case screw.