Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket watch crystals - source and type questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1369
posted
I am in need of a few 'new' crystals for both 16S and 18S PW's. My first question is what type/kind of replacement crystal do you folks use? I'm presuming glass but I see ads on eBay for 'bulls eye' and others and I'm not sure which might be best in terms of price/quality.

My second question is - do you folks have sellers you would recommend going to for this purchase?

My third question, are the measurements done at the outside of the crystal? Seems self evident but figured I should ask. Is there such a thing as 'standard' sizes for crystals? I seem lots of different measurments on the ebay ads.

And finally, how are the crystals actually attached to the bezel? Are they glued? And with what? How does one get the old crystal out of the bezel rim without damaging it?

Have yet to try this so I'm looking for any info and advice. Yes, I probably should just take them to a watch repairer but I'd like to try what I guess should be a simple bit of work myself.
Thanks
Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Ralph,

William White does a great job making and fitting crystals. He has many thicknesses and different styles. I like to use something similar in style and thickness to what was original to the case. The beveled glass is nice as long as you don't go too thick on some cases. If they fit perfect they snap in with no glue otherwise you can use G-S hypo cement or quick set epoxy. The epoxy is easier to use but you'll have to boil it in water to remove the crystal. Usually the crystal pushes out from the inside with no problem however the tighter fitting glass ones may chip when being removed. The second link below shows how to measure the bezel properly. I've chipped several glass crystals installing them so if they don't go in easily it's best to get a smaller one or have William install them. You may want to practice installing plastic ones before you attempt glass.

New Pocket Watch Crystals
• WELCOME - WILLIAM WHITE - NEW POCKET WATCH CRYSTALS! (Measuring)
How Watch Crystals Are Made

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1369
posted
Thanks for the info an advice Richard, appreciate the help.

I am aware of William and his service from other posts here. From what I have read his crystals would be great. I've tried to reach him over the past month but he has not returned my emails so I'm looking elsewhere for crystals.

Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ralph,

I agree 100% with Richard about William White.

William's crystals are absolutely, positively the very best!

The old ones you find elsewhere cannot begin to compare with them.

Call him at 415-255-8045 and tell him I sent you, you will be 100% satisfied.

CLICK THESE WORDS FOR SOME SIZING INFORMATION AND A CONVERSION CHART

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002