• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Oris Cal. 751 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I got this watch resently and it has a problem in the winding mechanisim. Let me explain. When I pull the winding stem to the set position, the watch begins to tic as I put the stem back in, the watch stops. Also the watch has trouble winding and when I turn the crown to set the time the winding gears seem to skip or slip. I know that this is a very broud question that might have any number of answers, but any help is appreciated.

Watch specs: 17 jewel pin lever from around the 1950's.

One last thing. If anybody knows where I can get a service manual for this type of movement.

Thanks again

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
No one???? Frown

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
Chris, it sounds a little bit like the cannon pinion may be too stiff on the centre post, or the motionwork sticking maybe.
Does the watch start when you actually start turning the hands - that's the usual scenario!

The clutch gears to set time, should be locked in position by the stem and setting lever when the stem is pulled out, so you may well have some badly worn gears there.
If the transmission wheels or cannon have been too tight too long, it would cause excessive wear.

I don't think I've any Oris manuals here, but I've a few movements.
Not sure I've any of the same Cal though, but some interchangeability of parts may be a possibility.

I'll take a look and come back to you.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Once again John thank you for answering my post. New news. I removed the dial nd found a big surprise.

This piece was just laying on top of the movement,loose.

Also. There seems to be a screw missing in the click area and the spring seems to be incorrectly installed.

Rigards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Chris, I've got a complete watch here with a Cal 751 movement in it - well, I Think it's complete!

It came to me as a bag of bits in a job lot from a watchmaker's clearout.
No idea what may be the problem with it yet, but I'll assemble it and post a photo of the dial plate side with all the setting levers etc in place - assuming everything's there of course!

Uhhmmmm would this be an eBay 'spares or repairs' jobby by any chance???

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
You know your stuff my friend. Yes it was a repair buy. Love a challenge so I bought it cheap. By the way, the movement caliber is 715 not 751. Sorry Frown

Hope these other pictures help in determining the position of the mystery parts. Big Grin

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Chris, that bit of metal with its 'leg out of bed' looks like the click for the calendar wheel.

Try taking it off and putting it on t'other way round and see if it lines up with the gear teeth on the back of the date wheel.

Looks like someone's thrown a 'wobbly' having taken it to bits and forgotten how to get it back together again - and just stuffed all the bits under the dial!

No sweat about the Cal number, the movement I have here is identical anyway - including date work.

John

posted
Thank you once again for the lesson. I will try as you say tomorrow.
As for the previous owner who took this watch apart, all I can say is better for me as it allows me the opportunity to learn more about this wonderful world of horology.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Is this what you where suggesting the calender click goes???

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Chris,
Apologies for taking a while to come back, been a hectic week!

Ok, as you've got the lever set up now, the watch wouldn't run.
The wheel it's sat on is rotated by the motionwork, and would complete one full turn in 24 hours. The peg trips a tooth a time on the calendar wheel.
As it is now, the peg would attempt to push against the leg of the spring as it rotated and come to a stop!

You need to flip the arm over, and place the hole in the other end over the boss on the click where you have the arm mounted now.

The movement I have here has a whole bunch of gear missing off it (literally), plus the centre post is bust off.
I've assembled as much of it as I have, and posted shots below to show the orientation of the arm and movement ring.
The 'arrow head' on the leg of the arm locates in the toothed ring on the underside of the calendar wheel.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

John

Calendar Click

posted
Calendar click and ring installed.

JW.

Calendar Click 2

posted
Thank you John. Your pictures are a big help.

This is what I managed so far.

It would also appear that the clicl spring is installed correctly in my movement if you compare it it with your pictures.

Now I can start to work on getting this watch winding again and see why it slips.

Thank again John

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Well my watch is still not working. I've looked further and I noticed this spring that to me it does not look like it is in the right place. What do you all think?

Just noticed your pictures John and it looks like the spring sits at and angle not straight like in mine.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Chris, is that spring jamming the gear where it disappears into the plate?

Can't help you much with this one I'm sorry to say, as both Oris's I have here are incomplete.

Does the watch run without all the calendar work fitted up?

John