Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

cleaning a watch question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i saw on the youtube that lighter fluid is good for soaking parts for cleaning. is this a stupid idea? what is ideal? and where do i buy it? should i invest in an ultrasonic cleaner?
thanks
Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
posted
Todd,

Guys do use lighter fluid and I am sure it works, but I have always use modern fluids made by L&R. I use a fine cleaning fluid and also a rinse made by L&R which are both sold by a number of suppliers for both ultrasonics and mechanicals.Caskers for one can suppy these items to you.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks Rob, i have now cleaned and re-assembled exactly 1 PW. complete noob. but very enthusiastic. and as a bonus the watch is running.
is an Ultra sonic cleaner a worthwhile investment?

dalarry

posted
Todd if you plan to continue to clean watches on an ongoing basis the answer is clearly yes. Cleaning machines are very worth while and they speed the cleaning process up considerably over hand or jar cleaning.

Make sure to add pegwood and pithwood to your cleaning tools.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
I think L&R makes also ultrasonic cleaners so you can have all from one brand. Zodiak is also good for cleaning, can be found on esslinger website (tey have l&r and cleaners as well). Its beter to buy branded ultrasonic to save future dissapoinments.

Rafal

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Todd,

Please check out this topic wherein Lindell talks about lighter fluid as a cleaner and Chris Abell has a link to various cleaners that are available:

how to clean a pocket watch

Smile

Posts: 5234 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
WOW! what a great checklist! going to print it and post it over my desk.
thank you everyone for your advice. i intend to pursue learning watch repair as a hobby now that i am retired.
thanks again.
Todd

dalarry

IHC Member 1892
posted
Todd: Welcome to IHC185. As a relative newcomer myself I can assure you it is a great site. An lot of very clever people who are eager to help.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013