Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stem.popping.into.set.position "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
I.have.a.12S.Elgin.that.requires.pushing.down.on.the.stem.to.wind.and.easily.moves.to.set.position..What.might.the.problem.be?

Thanks,
Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Dana,

I have had this problem on several stem set watches and it usually means the sleeve the stem is in needs to be readjusted. These are screwed into the case and have relocated themselves over time. No big deal usually for a watchmaker with the correct tools. I have sent them to Chris Abell on a few occasions.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I agree with Steve, Dana, because I have one that is the same way and it, too, is a 12s Elgin....Kinda irritating isn't it...?

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1063
posted
You guys were absolutely right. Put the movement in a different case and the problem was gone. What type of tool adjusts the sleeve depth?

Dana

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is the one I have, each end has a fitting to fit different size & type of stem sleeves.

tool

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1063
posted
Tom-

Are the sleeves like threaded inserts and if so, would a large enough screw driver work? Are new sleeves available?

Dana

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dana

Most are threaded, for you 12 I would say it was.

If you remove the crown & look inside the stem of the watch you should see the end of the sleeve, some have a slot in them like a screw head.

When I get home this evening I can post a few photos of the inside of a case stem.

As far as a new one, yours might be fine, there is a fine line of the sleeve being in far enough to wind but up enough to move into the set position when the stem is pulled up. Brian C. probably would have some, try him at pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Dana, I would try using a screwdriver when I first started, then I bought my Case Stem Tool and could not believe how much simpler it is when one has the correct tool for the job.

I think I purchased the tool here on 185 but can't remember for sure, but no matter, they are not very expensive....you can get one on fleabay, search for 'Sleeve Wrench'....

The one I have looks similar to Tom's, they all look very similar anyway....I noticed on Tom's wrench that is a 9 tool, while mine has 10....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1063
posted
That definitely looks like the weapon of choice. I'll find one.

Dana

posted
I can not believe that you guy's have forgotten John D. Duvall's "Helping Hands Tutorial".They are right under the repair board on the index page.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004