Internet Horology Club 185
Stem.popping.into.set.position

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/26810404

March 11, 2009, 10:57
Dana Fuller
Stem.popping.into.set.position
I.have.a.12S.Elgin.that.requires.pushing.down.on.the.stem.to.wind.and.easily.moves.to.set.position..What.might.the.problem.be?

Thanks,
Dana
March 11, 2009, 11:59
Steve Middlesworth
Dana,

I have had this problem on several stem set watches and it usually means the sleeve the stem is in needs to be readjusted. These are screwed into the case and have relocated themselves over time. No big deal usually for a watchmaker with the correct tools. I have sent them to Chris Abell on a few occasions.

Steve
March 11, 2009, 15:54
Jerry King
I agree with Steve, Dana, because I have one that is the same way and it, too, is a 12s Elgin....Kinda irritating isn't it...?

Regards,
Jerry
March 12, 2009, 09:35
Dana Fuller
You guys were absolutely right. Put the movement in a different case and the problem was gone. What type of tool adjusts the sleeve depth?

Dana
March 12, 2009, 09:57
Tom Brown
This is the one I have, each end has a fitting to fit different size & type of stem sleeves.

tool

March 12, 2009, 10:55
Dana Fuller
Tom-

Are the sleeves like threaded inserts and if so, would a large enough screw driver work? Are new sleeves available?

Dana
March 12, 2009, 11:00
Tom Brown
Dana

Most are threaded, for you 12 I would say it was.

If you remove the crown & look inside the stem of the watch you should see the end of the sleeve, some have a slot in them like a screw head.

When I get home this evening I can post a few photos of the inside of a case stem.

As far as a new one, yours might be fine, there is a fine line of the sleeve being in far enough to wind but up enough to move into the set position when the stem is pulled up. Brian C. probably would have some, try him at pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Tom
March 12, 2009, 13:03
Jerry King
Dana, I would try using a screwdriver when I first started, then I bought my Case Stem Tool and could not believe how much simpler it is when one has the correct tool for the job.

I think I purchased the tool here on 185 but can't remember for sure, but no matter, they are not very expensive....you can get one on fleabay, search for 'Sleeve Wrench'....

The one I have looks similar to Tom's, they all look very similar anyway....I noticed on Tom's wrench that is a 9 tool, while mine has 10....

Regards,
Jerry

March 12, 2009, 17:21
Dana Fuller
That definitely looks like the weapon of choice. I'll find one.

Dana
April 27, 2009, 17:49
Lawrence Fure
I can not believe that you guy's have forgotten John D. Duvall's "Helping Hands Tutorial".They are right under the repair board on the index page.

Larry