Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How to make a lathe cutter "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0l6I1yrrk
It's kind of boring but if you use a lathe it's an OK video.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Patrick,

Well, the presentation is quite a bit longer than it needs to be. Besides that, any information on forming and dressing cutting tools is some of my favorite subject matter!

I will submit that using a 1200 grit diamond wheel with a synthetic oil or water based coolant is preferable to dry grinding; you'll get a beautiful razor sharp finish with both high speed steel and carbide, and a 1x6" wheel is not that expensive either: HERE. You'll also need a good coolant: Gem Lube works perfectly with these wheels...for grinding anything!

I firmly believe that the key to precise micro-machining is the ability to impart a micro-edge to your micro tools!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 2030
posted
There was a post here this year, Mr. White was making graver from micro drill bit? Where do you get the drill bits?
Thanks
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I have those micro drills 0.1 mm you sneeze and they break .
Also have carbide 1/8 of an inch blanks that are 2-3 inches long any buyers?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
William,
I agree. All the way through the video I wondered if he was going
to change stones at the end.....

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
William had color coded micro drils, I would be interested in the purveyor of these items.
Thanks
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Mike,

These carbide micro drills are still available through Harbor Freight Tools. They come as random selections and the smallest ones usually have a little shoulder which can be profiled as the one I made. The 1/8" blanks Mr. Kaszubski has work great and can also be held in a standard pin vice.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 2030
posted
Thanks, now we are micro ready.
Mike

IHC Life Member
posted
Peter. How much for the 2 - 3 " blanks you have?

Life Member
posted
Here is here I buy drill bits. They are good to deal with, and do not have a minimum order requirement. They carry bits in a full range of English and metric sizes and materials, including carbide, titanium, and HSS.

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/newtuncardri.html

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Very nice web site.