Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Desperately Seeking Source for Oversized Jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I am working on two different 18s Illinois full plate movements (model 6's), and they both have broken center wheel jewels. The jewel in the top plate appears to be a normal size that I am sure I'll have in my inventory, but the jewel in the pillar plate is a size that Seitz doesn't even seem to make. The diameter isn't the problem. A 260 diameter will work, but the hole has to be approximately 114 cm. The biggest jewel in my complete Seitz jewel set only goes up to 260/110. The 110 hole size won't work because the shaft of the center wheel mikes out at 111. I checked the websites of Jules Borel, Otto Frei, etc., but they only seem to offer the sizes that I already have in my collection. Where does one go to find a jewel like this? I'm starting to get a little worried Eek

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
I never did find that bigger pillar plate jewel for the center wheel so I had to take drastic action. I put in a 110 hole size jewel, then turned the bearing surface of the center wheel shaft down from 111 to 108. Altogether, to get this watch running I had to replace two jewels, the mainspring, turn down the shaft, and do a COA. Everything turned out well, but it would have been a whole lot easier if those big Illinois center wheel jewels were still available! Forgot to mention, this is a "Stewart Special."

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bruce nice movement looks like you did a good job.The Plate jewels with big holes are very hard too find and have not been produced for probaly 50 years if you find any for sale better grab them. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Samie, thanks for that advice. If I come across any I am definitely going to try to buy them. A lot of my Illinois "Stewart Specials" are 18 size.