• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairspring Replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, another question, I have a Duplex watch which is running far faster than it should, after cleaning and demagnetizing I think I'll need to replace the hairspring. Could anyone tell me what factors are important, I know the diameter must allow it to fit the regulator pins and that material can be important in terms of conservation, but what else do I need to know? Thanks,
Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I don't know what you are working on but the HS stud has to fit the hole. This limits you to pretty much the same thing or type of watch. It has to fit inside the inner circle of the balance wheel and not rub top or bottom. The collet has to fit the staff tightly. Were it mine I would wait till I found a parts unit and take it from there. Hairsprings are very, very frail so be careful.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Thanks Patrick, I know that they're very frail and unfortunately it's unlikely I will find a parts unit any time soon, its a Parkinson and Frodsham Duplex movement rather than one of the American watches which are easier to identify. I'll see what I can find, thanks.

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013

posted
Joe,

Can you post a picture of the movement (balance wheel)?

Would it not be easier to add weight to the balance wheel?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
Hi Jon, I did consider adding weight to the balance wheel however there does appear to already be a lot of weights on there, and it is so far off that I'm not sure it would have enough of an effect (+/- a few hours per day). If you think it would help then I will try it, and if you could give me any tips it would help since I've not done it before. Sorry about the low quality picture I just took it quickly with a phone. Thanks,
Joe

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
There is a gentleman in London with a small shop and he still makes hairsprings. He is very expensive, like over $100.00 for starters but I can 't for the life of me remember his name. I probably didn't write it down because I can't afford him.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Yeah he does sound a bit more than I can afford to pay for this watch, although Ill keep looking. Thanks,
Joe

IHC Member 1555
posted
HI Joe,

I noticed in the photo with the hairspring visible that the coils are closer together on one side then the other. That hairsping should have even spacing between the coils. You probably have to manipulate the spring, as the coils could be touching each other therefore increasing the rate dramatically.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I believe Bila is on the right track.
Normally you should NOT have to replace a Hairspring.

I believe you have a underling problem like the hairspring is touch the balance cock arm, magnetized, out of the banking pins. or another mis diagnosed problems.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Thanks Bila and Eugene, I have already demagnetised the watch and checked that the spring is between the banking pins, but Ill have another look and see if I can find anything, I didn't notice the spacing difference so thanks for pointing it out and the advice,
Joe

IHC Member 1555
posted
If you take a close look at the hairspring Joe you will see on the curb pin side that the coils are very close together, this is caused by the hairspring not being in the right form. When the hairspring is the correct shape the coils of the spring will be equal distances apart as well as passing thru the center of the curb pins. Also as Eugene has spoke about there are various other things such as the spring touching the underside of the balance cock to consider, close observation before applying any fix is always first recommended.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I had a similar situation that was simply a matter of the hairspring caught just inside the end of the two guide pins. Pushed it upward just enough to free it between the guides and the spring levelled out.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011