Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Could you fix this? Distorted coils? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
It's almost flat with a little bend on the inner set of coils (Collet) and then it has a area that is out of round and an area that needs to be brought back in shape.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Life Member
posted
Good challenge, Patrick. Theoretically, I know how to fix that, but I have three or four "practice springs" in about that same condition, and still haven't developed the proper touch.

Then again, I consider myself a clock repairman, certainly NOT a watchmaker. Smile

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Patrick, is this hairspring from an elgin, I can make this one right, and if not probably have a replacement if needed, these are very delicate and easy to mess up, let me know what you think thanks,

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Paul.
Yes, it's from a 12s, 315.
Let me know the tid bits and I'll send it to you.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011

posted
Looks like the HS needs to be cleaned 1st. The two areas I labeled on your photo the coils appear to be stuck together. Thus, increasing the gap on the other side of the HS.

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Jon, you might be right. I thought is was just bent. I won't worry about cleaning until I get it useable. On second thought cleaning first would be the way to go.