Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My New Olympic Microscope "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Other than a Staking set and a Lathe I think it is the best purchase I ever made! I have been able to see and find problems I never could have with a Loupe. I recently COA"d a Rockford, my first, and after a ultrasonic cleaning would normally put it together but after checking in the scope I found it to be still dirty. I run it through the bath again and then looked at it and it was much better but still had some crud in the jewels. I brushed this clean and rechecked for assembly. So, we have a Rockford I thought was all ready to go and then found problems using the scope. It's together now and runs perfectly and I know it is clean and has no problems.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 43
posted
Patrick, I was looking on the website you posted on the watch repair forum and could not make out what the model number of your microscope was. I am interested in buying one for watch work and to use on the lathe also. Could you let me know the model? Thanks

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice purchase Patrick. For those working on watches I feel there are actually two microscopes to consider. One is an examination scope such as Patrick has. Another good choice for examination might be one of these: Click here

or you can find a nice selection of used boom style microscopes on ebay, like American Optical. A boom microscope with a focal distance of 4-5 inches allows you to set it up over your lathe and work under the scope. This is how I am able to make parts like a balance staff or pallet arbor. I admire the old-timers who did this without any visual aids, but I can't do it without them. It is amazing what you can do with a good microscope.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Curly and Roger., Curly the model # is VT - II. The 45 degree head is very useful as you sit at the bench and look into it it. The eyepieces are adjustable for the distance between you eyes. It has a two stage focus meaning it will raise or lower twice what it originally appears to. It has a double focus of 1X and 2X and is also adjustable at the eyepiece.
Good, crisp clear focus fine enough to count the teeth in a fruit fly.

Roger, If I would have seen the one you directed me toward I would have bought it instead. The price is right and I like the boom feature. It is the exact same scope only it's on a boom rather than a platform. Make sure the software is compatible with your OS. Everybody should be aware that electric (Digital) for computer screen display are fine if you are running Windows 7 or earlier. But I could find nothing on the market that would work with Windows 8, and I am running Windows 8.1. in a new Microsoft Surface RT.
Very, very few of the computers built today have a CD drive, so the software has to be loaded from the Internet.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I went to Best Buy in London last week to shop for a new digital camera,and a new Mac computer,and was left waiting for a very long time,and when the employee finally showed up,I asked him where the CD and DVD drive slot was??? And then he informed me that none of the Macs had a DVD drive any more,that everything was internet driven and downloaded,which doesn't suit my uses whatever,so I guess I'll look for a newer iMac than mine that still has a DVD port and buy used LOL Confused

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi Tom, this is worth a read.
https://discussions.apple.com/...81?start=15&tstart=0
It seems that the logical answer for us Mac users is to buy the stand alone DVD drive. Also it makes any servicing much easier. No more hauling a heavy machine to the repair place.
It would be a problem if you're using a laptop version due to having to carry it around but if you have a desktop then it should be fine.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Everyone,

Here at I. Miller Optical we are a family business that specializes in microscope sales and service and have been in business since 1936. Over time we have acquired a vast amount of microscope parts for nearly all types of scopes and pride ourselves in the ability to fix nearly any problem with a microscope. We also have a fairly large selection of old scopes, both new and used, that we have acquired over the years that we constantly are selling. We have both compound and stereo scopes from a variety of brands, all that have been tested and cleaned by our factory trained technicians. With our repairs, If someone contacts us with an issue, we do a free assessment of the scope and let you know what needs to be fixed as well as the cost before doing any repairs.

In addition, we also are a dealer for almost all microscope brands out there and can supply you with a brand new scope at very competitive prices. Our goal is to find a scope that fully meets your needs and give you the support not only before purchase, but after as well.

For any questions about anything microscope related, please feel free to contact us at 215-925-2285, by email, mike@imillermicroscopes.com or check out our website at www.imillermicroscopes.com.

I was asked if I could post this for The Miller Co. Since he was so helpful to me I agreed. If it is against any by-laws or rules please feel free to delete it or contact me and I will delete it.

IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi Patrick, are you able to use this scope with a boom for working on your lathe. Also when you focus is there plenty of room to get your hands in under the bottom lens or do you just use it for examining.
I'm looking for something that will enable me to see better while I work. Thanks

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Mike,

I addressed your question in this same thread. Read my earlier post in this thread.

IHC Member 1902
posted
Yes I see that Roger but I want to know if it can be used with a boom set up and how much room there is underneath.

IHC Life Member
posted
Focus is easy and there is plenty of room to work. It's definitely not cramped. This same scope can be boom mounted if you have one. It would take <5 seconds to change it.
Using a scope you will find that 80% of the watches you COA have a jewel problem that a regular loupe wont show. Loose roller jewels and escape fork jewels that rock when you tickle them with a tooth pick. I have thought I was putting together a clean watch and then under the scope find it needs to be bathed again.
I can't say enough for using a microscope. Shellac has a shelf life, both in it's raw state and it's applied state. A scope is GREAT for locating loose jewels and installing roller jewels.

IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot patrick. Just the information I wanted.
I've got the same model on the way.

IHC Life Member
posted
Mike, Good choice. I emailed you.

IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Patrick.
Just so that other members know, I also purchased an Olympus scope. Quite a number of years old but it is amazing. The vision that you get is out of this world.
Plenty of room to work as well but I'm thinking of setting up a boom so that it will be more versatile. Just got to source the parts.
I really hate using a loop or clip on things so a scope really is the answer.
I think the club should give all new members one as a welcome gift !!!!!!

IHC Life Member
posted
Mike,
Debbie might not think that's funny. LOL

There are a lot of boom mounted scopes on the Bay. Some for as little as $200.00. You can get a fixture mounted scope for around $180.00 but when you add a boom it gos up drastically. Every body thinks our money is no object.......I have found a boom for mine but it's going to cost me $+-$200.00.

IHC Life Member
posted
Rodger,
I done went an got me a boomer. Now i have one set on the lathe and one on the bench. Thanks for the tip.

IHC Life Member
posted
Patrick,

You'll be turning out work that you couldn't do otherwise and seeing problems that you didn't know were there.

Roger

IHC Life Member
posted
I love it for turning pinions to get a polish on them. You can see if it's smooth or still needs a little more buffing on 1x but switch to 2x and you can see everything.