WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here we go again [Question about oil for jewels and pinions] "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
oil?
If you do COAs and work on watches what do you prefer for oil for general purpose. A good oil that will work on jewels and pinions as well as other small items in the movement?
I have stem oil and a satisfactory grease but need a lubricating, lasting oil for moving parts.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Patrick,

Glad to see that you're on the mend and ready to get back to the bench.

My preference is to use Moebius 8000 oil for all the pivots and escape wheel teeth and I use NYE fulcrum clock oil for all other moving / rotating parts. This combination has worked very well and I have had no issues with any watch running "dry".

Now how much oil to use in which location is a question I'm still trying answer! Big Grin

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Serge.
I have a very small tube of the 8000 and will use it. I can't imagine oil drying up after three months but it did. Dryer that a popcorn ****. I have been using a Moebius MS grease for a long time and have had no problems with it. Will be shopping for the 8000 in a larger quantity.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Hi Patrick,

For my watches I use Ethsynta 1-3 (replaces oils number 1, 2 and 3 - Im not sure if you are familiar, but that numbering is popular in Europe, different number different purpose) for all except keyless work or main spring. For those I use Moebius 8200 (replaces oils 4 and 5). Both oils works pretty well and no need for buying all 5 separately. But that for pocket watches only.

Rafal

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Rafal,
I will check into the availability here in the USA. Sounds OK to me.
Thanks