Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cheap $1 watch repair question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Does ANYONE get the $1 (REAL CHEAP) watches repaired and done up nice?

You never see anything about them anywhere, and I have a few that really run nice and wondered.

It's kinda sad that they are nothing to collectors. It's really unusual, that there can be some very old cheap watch, that still run so well.

I have often though of getting mine worked on, is there anyone else out there that has done this?

Let me know.

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila, Regardless of what a priceguide might say, do you really like the watch? To restore or not is in the mind of the beholder. I realize that I do most of my own work and am not paying, but I have spent many hours on watches that are essentially worth nothing. I do this because I believe that every watch deserves the chance to be brought back to life if it is possible. Granted, I would not send a dollar watch away for repair and pay $200, but I will spend small amounts on parts for restoration of dollar watches, New York Standards, and common 7J watches. Just my two cents worth.

Tom

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Tom,
I thought I was the only one that did that. I try to save them all if possible. I have had good watches sit on my bench for weeks while I tinker with dollar watches. Glad to hear I'm not alone.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Tom & Brian, To me the feeling of bringing a watch back to life is great, seeing that balance wheel moving on its own. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
The most difficult task is taking them apart.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
It's so nice to know that I'm not that weird or something. I hate to see ANY watch just sit there. I won't pay $200 on one either, but will do what I can, even on an old one that works,
(Or Not) depends on the watch.

Nice to see that others would do the same.

Tom, Your so right, it's what WE like and care about that counts!

Now, if I could only take one apart!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I just want to respond to Wayne's comment on the Ingraham. I agree that they are tough to take apart, but for the Ingraham, it is even tougher to put back together. At the factory, the assembler utilized a special jig to hold the movement and parts. The assemblers could put one together in less than three minutes. Just try one without the factory jig. I will not even attempt to disassemble and reassemble an Ingraham. Has something to do with everything being between the two plates.

Tom

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's My Ingraham St. Regis before and after cleaning. Takes a while to get that full plate lined up!

Dave Turner

before cleaning

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Another before picture

Dave Turner

front view

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Finished and running now.

Dave Turner

Finished

posted
Wow, good job Dave. Most will never get these together once they are taken apart, I know this because of too much personal experience Smile

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I've some Dollar watches in my inventory too. If it's all there and nothing appears to be broken, there is this little animal in me that says I'm going to make it run or know why. Like Brian said, I have had $$ watches on the bench while the money makers sit under a dome.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I hear you!
Thank goodness I'm not in it to make money. If I was getting paid by the hour though, I'd be a millionaire already!

Dave Turner