Internet Horology Club 185
Cheap $1 watch repair question

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/176104265

September 24, 2004, 10:14
Sheila Gilbert
Cheap $1 watch repair question
Does ANYONE get the $1 (REAL CHEAP) watches repaired and done up nice?

You never see anything about them anywhere, and I have a few that really run nice and wondered.

It's kinda sad that they are nothing to collectors. It's really unusual, that there can be some very old cheap watch, that still run so well.

I have often though of getting mine worked on, is there anyone else out there that has done this?

Let me know.
September 24, 2004, 22:30
Tom Huber
Sheila, Regardless of what a priceguide might say, do you really like the watch? To restore or not is in the mind of the beholder. I realize that I do most of my own work and am not paying, but I have spent many hours on watches that are essentially worth nothing. I do this because I believe that every watch deserves the chance to be brought back to life if it is possible. Granted, I would not send a dollar watch away for repair and pay $200, but I will spend small amounts on parts for restoration of dollar watches, New York Standards, and common 7J watches. Just my two cents worth.

Tom
September 25, 2004, 05:50
Brian C.
Tom,
I thought I was the only one that did that. I try to save them all if possible. I have had good watches sit on my bench for weeks while I tinker with dollar watches. Glad to hear I'm not alone.
Brian C.
September 25, 2004, 06:43
Ted Steuernagel
Tom & Brian, To me the feeling of bringing a watch back to life is great, seeing that balance wheel moving on its own. Ted
September 25, 2004, 10:17
Wayne C. Anderson
The most difficult task is taking them apart.

September 26, 2004, 04:03
Sheila Gilbert
It's so nice to know that I'm not that weird or something. I hate to see ANY watch just sit there. I won't pay $200 on one either, but will do what I can, even on an old one that works,
(Or Not) depends on the watch.

Nice to see that others would do the same.

Tom, Your so right, it's what WE like and care about that counts!

Now, if I could only take one apart!

Sheila
September 26, 2004, 20:34
Tom Huber
I just want to respond to Wayne's comment on the Ingraham. I agree that they are tough to take apart, but for the Ingraham, it is even tougher to put back together. At the factory, the assembler utilized a special jig to hold the movement and parts. The assemblers could put one together in less than three minutes. Just try one without the factory jig. I will not even attempt to disassemble and reassemble an Ingraham. Has something to do with everything being between the two plates.

Tom
May 19, 2012, 20:49
Dave Turner
Here's My Ingraham St. Regis before and after cleaning. Takes a while to get that full plate lined up!

before cleaning

Dave Turner
May 19, 2012, 20:55
Dave Turner
Another before picture

front view

Dave Turner
May 19, 2012, 20:58
Dave Turner
Finished and running now.

Finished

Dave Turner
May 21, 2012, 00:14
Ray Hallenbeck
Wow, good job Dave. Most will never get these together once they are taken apart, I know this because of too much personal experience Smile
May 29, 2012, 10:47
Patrick Wallin
I've some Dollar watches in my inventory too. If it's all there and nothing appears to be broken, there is this little animal in me that says I'm going to make it run or know why. Like Brian said, I have had $$ watches on the bench while the money makers sit under a dome.
May 29, 2012, 13:17
Dave Turner
I hear you!
Thank goodness I'm not in it to make money. If I was getting paid by the hour though, I'd be a millionaire already!

Dave Turner