• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Truing Calipers "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Are all truing calipers created equal? I am to the point where I am in need of one.

Any advice? Preferences?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Eric,

I believe that Bergeon 5896 calipers would be a good choice. Beautifully made in Switzerland and reasonably priced. The adjustable index is a must for this kind of tool. I found one HERE.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Eric,
If you buy a used set examine very carefully the holes, steam clean them make sure no damage a tiny defect could mark/damage your pivots, also check for broken pivots/debris jammed and crushed in there!.. the type I use have no screw closing or index arm

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
If there's no index arm, then what do you use as a reference to insure the balance wheel is both round and flat?

I thought that was kind of the point of calipers, for wheels that were taco-ed.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
These are the ones that we used in watchmaking school, you can see where the errors when you rotate the balance there are lots of reference points to visually mark the error and point of correction, with these you can quickly remove the balance make a correction and re test. What works well for me is a very fine artist type brush to rotate the balance and will not apply stress to the balance you always have to remember to avoid pivot damage at all times, don’t want to make more problems while fixing another.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Here is another type it has set jewels also cap jewel and screw adjustment ,the problem with screw adjustments one day you will twist the wrong way.

posted
Gotcha. Thanks, Chris.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
What application would this have? There are no pivot holes.
Vintage Antique Poising caliper for watch repair, watchmaker

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
I've also considered buying a nice caliper. I was considering the STAR JUNIOR Truing Caliper that otto frei sells. It looks nice and I've had several folks say its good.

But after reading Chris's comments I'm concerned now about the screw adjustment and turning it the wrong way :-/

Posts: 379 | Location: Charlotte, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: August 10, 2012
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Joseph, if you get in the habit of turning the screw a few times before the balance is in the calipers, you'll know the right way to turn in advance. And you can always mark that with tape. What I would be a little worried about with the type of calipers that Chris uses - all due respect - is that you might squeeze too hard by the scissors action of it, unless the calipers is properly oiled and/or pliable.
Neither is real fun to deal with in my very humble opinion. It's the loading that I dislike! First pivot easy, second? I'm sure that years of experience help greatly.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013