Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crystal Cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member
posted
I've been trying to clean up a crystal that has an uneven cloudy type appearance,mostly on the inside.This is from a salesman's case that looks unused. Both glasses are scratch free; only one has the "stain" and the crystals were glued in.I don't think the problem is glue, but I'm not sure.
I started with cerium oxide, but gave up and went to #400 grit silicon carbide. I've been at it long enough to wonder what I'm up against-I've had scratches come out easier! If I didn't know better(?) I'd suspect the glass absorbed something...somehow.
"Search" didn't get me far, and it looks like a 30 minute job is going to take hours-unless somebody knows something that'll help...?

Marty

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Hi Marty, welcome to IHC 185. If you find out how to do that, I'd also be interested in hearing about it.

I never heard of anything beyond polishing out scratches. Is this a glass or plastic crystal?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Marty,
There are many things that can etch right into the glass. Etching Cream (and I don't mean itching cream), is one of them. You might be in the market for a new crystal for that one. Do you have a picture that you can post?

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member
posted
Ed and Scott- Yes,it's glass-and I'll try and get a pic'; like I said there's no scratches just a foggy,blotchy-type stain. I was afraid it was super glue, but acetone didn't help. Let me try for a pic- shoot-I give uP!!!!

Marty

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Member
posted
TRYING-

Marty

IHC Member
posted
i

Marty

IHC Member
posted
FINALLY! I hope this'll get me some answers- those threads above from Don (thanks!) helped me for other problems but not this-anyone seen this? Remember the crystal was glued-maybe super glue-does it stain glass?

Marty

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Marty

maybe easier to remove the crystal first then give it a wipe round with some nail varnish remover (acetone) if that doesn’t work soak it overnight in ammonia, if still no joy work a solution of Cerium oxide and polish back, if that don’t work drop in trash and find a new one Smile

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member
posted
Chris I've done all that-I just can't believe something could be absorbed into glass-maybe I'll just get my drill and work the silicon carbide into it for a couple hours...I'll try a while longer;I'm supposed to be trying to blue hands but I got this salesman case free and unused.

Marty

posted
Hi Guys

I read somewhere that glass does actually absorb moisture. For example glass decaters in a damp atmosphere will go cloudy.

Also that glass always remains a "liquid". If you measure the thickness of the top of a piece of old glass in a window and then the bottom. typically the glass will be thicker at the bottom, where the glass has run down over the years. D

oesn't help much on the watch glass question but just thought you would be interested.

If it were me I'd throw it away!

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi i went to a class for stained glass there they said it will fully harden in about 2000 years

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC Member
posted
OK -Maybe most people would toss it,but I need to learn and see what can be done. So me and my rotary tool went through a few felt pads. I went back to #600 grit silicon carbide-no cerium oxide yet;maybe later.
For those interested(like me)in what could have caused this damage,here's a clue-after removing the worst of the "stain" I saw a pattern of tiny pin pricks covering the glass.These have lightened some the more I work.Very strange.

Marty

2008-02-22crystal #1

IHC Member
posted
Another pic'...

Marty

crystal #2