Internet Horology Club 185
Crystal Cleaning

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/1691071303

February 15, 2008, 15:53
Marty Bell
Crystal Cleaning
I've been trying to clean up a crystal that has an uneven cloudy type appearance,mostly on the inside.This is from a salesman's case that looks unused. Both glasses are scratch free; only one has the "stain" and the crystals were glued in.I don't think the problem is glue, but I'm not sure.
I started with cerium oxide, but gave up and went to #400 grit silicon carbide. I've been at it long enough to wonder what I'm up against-I've had scratches come out easier! If I didn't know better(?) I'd suspect the glass absorbed something...somehow.
"Search" didn't get me far, and it looks like a 30 minute job is going to take hours-unless somebody knows something that'll help...?

Marty
February 15, 2008, 19:01
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Hi Marty, welcome to IHC 185. If you find out how to do that, I'd also be interested in hearing about it.

I never heard of anything beyond polishing out scratches. Is this a glass or plastic crystal?

Best Regards,

Ed
February 15, 2008, 19:11
Scott Cerullo
Marty,
There are many things that can etch right into the glass. Etching Cream (and I don't mean itching cream), is one of them. You might be in the market for a new crystal for that one. Do you have a picture that you can post?

www.pawatchmaker.com
February 15, 2008, 20:17
Marty Bell
Ed and Scott- Yes,it's glass-and I'll try and get a pic'; like I said there's no scratches just a foggy,blotchy-type stain. I was afraid it was super glue, but acetone didn't help. Let me try for a pic- shoot-I give uP!!!!

Marty
February 15, 2008, 20:36
Donald Trumble
Here are two previous topics about this subject...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/7651082602

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/2636006073

See if those are of help!

Don
February 15, 2008, 21:35
Marty Bell
TRYING-

Marty
February 15, 2008, 21:37
Marty Bell
i

Marty
February 15, 2008, 21:42
Marty Bell
FINALLY! I hope this'll get me some answers- those threads above from Don (thanks!) helped me for other problems but not this-anyone seen this? Remember the crystal was glued-maybe super glue-does it stain glass?

Marty
February 15, 2008, 21:59
Chris Abell
Hi Marty

maybe easier to remove the crystal first then give it a wipe round with some nail varnish remover (acetone) if that doesn’t work soak it overnight in ammonia, if still no joy work a solution of Cerium oxide and polish back, if that don’t work drop in trash and find a new one Smile
February 15, 2008, 22:07
Marty Bell
Chris I've done all that-I just can't believe something could be absorbed into glass-maybe I'll just get my drill and work the silicon carbide into it for a couple hours...I'll try a while longer;I'm supposed to be trying to blue hands but I got this salesman case free and unused.

Marty
February 21, 2008, 16:38
Clive Driscoll
Hi Guys

I read somewhere that glass does actually absorb moisture. For example glass decaters in a damp atmosphere will go cloudy.

Also that glass always remains a "liquid". If you measure the thickness of the top of a piece of old glass in a window and then the bottom. typically the glass will be thicker at the bottom, where the glass has run down over the years. D

oesn't help much on the watch glass question but just thought you would be interested.

If it were me I'd throw it away!
February 21, 2008, 19:20
James H. Miller
hi i went to a class for stained glass there they said it will fully harden in about 2000 years
February 22, 2008, 13:24
Marty Bell
OK -Maybe most people would toss it,but I need to learn and see what can be done. So me and my rotary tool went through a few felt pads. I went back to #600 grit silicon carbide-no cerium oxide yet;maybe later.
For those interested(like me)in what could have caused this damage,here's a clue-after removing the worst of the "stain" I saw a pattern of tiny pin pricks covering the glass.These have lightened some the more I work.Very strange.

2008-02-22crystal #1

Marty
February 22, 2008, 13:26
Marty Bell
Another pic'...

crystal #2

Marty