• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

KIF Flector on Bulova 10CSC "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
John - Do you know where I can find a diagram of a KIF flector assembly? I'm used to old pocket watches and very new to the shock mounted balance jewels. Anyway, I got the retainer spring off (and found it, thank God), checked the hole and cap jewels, and then tried to reinstall the spring. A good picture or diagram would help a great deal. Any ideas? Barry B

Posts: 15 | Location: Fairfax, Virginia in the USA | Registered: July 24, 2003
posted
Barry,

This is the original KIF design, which I beleive your Bulova has:

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Mike - Mine has a four-lobe spring with only one tab. 180 degrees from the tab is a raised section. Apparently it is called a KIF flector assembly. Trust me, mine is different.

Barry B

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Barry,

Does it look something like this?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John - Exactly. Barry

IHC Life Member
posted
Sorry Barry, that's about all I could find. I believe Ofrei has tools for the KIF Trior but not sure about the Flector design.

posted
John - That's what I saw too. Do you have any experience sssembling this model? Barry

IHC Life Member
posted
Barry,

I have zero experience with the newer watches. It's been pocket watches and the occasional older wristwatch.

I will put a copy of your post in the wristwatch section and maybe someone can help there.

posted
John - I was told that the Chicago School of Watchmaking Home Course had info regarding the KIF flector. I'd considered getting the lesson set, and this got me off my "a" and I got a set from Uncle Larry. The info on the KIF flector is actually in Lesson 14 and two pages are devoted to it. Also, the BestFit Volume II has pages of shock absorber type assemblies. They don't go into detail, but show the "top down" view of each type of setting.
BTW, the "Master Watchmaking" course looks worth the money, though I'm sure I could have borrowed it from NAWCC or AWCI for a look-see.

Barry B

IHC Life Member
posted
Glad you found some information. Good luck with your repair and let us know how it comes out.

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Barry,
First you must make sure you are putting the flat part of the cap jewel facing down. Next the retainer spring just turns into place. If it has not been distorted it should have a slight curve to fit the curve in the cap jewel top. Hope this helps, When oiling less is better only about half of the jewel should have oil.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Rich - Thanks for the info. I haven't gotten the replacement parts yet, but maybe I will remove the curved spring. BTW, are you sure your in the USA? We lived in Cleveland for a couple of years and I thought we were really in Eastern Europe, especially in the supermarket where I heard Hungarian.

Barry B