Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chris Abell, Certified Watchmaker Taking Work. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
I've known a lot of good watchmakers in my time and I am a watchmaker. Chris is absolutely up in the stratosphere.

The last time I went to visit him Chris was showing me how to a make a balance from scratch (great lathe work skills) and a Pallet Stone from scratch (Double WoW). Then we sat down at the bench with a bunch of bad hairsprings trying to true them. I think I got one done in the time it took Chris to finish eight.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi check out hairspring replacement

Click here

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Nice video, Chris. Mind explaining; "vibrating a hairspring?" and why?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Phil,

Thats a long one! Smile

I will be putting up watches and tools in the for sale section all types, Hamiltons, Rockford, illinois, just as I take them out of the boxes

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Nice Hamilton 23. What is she going fer?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Matt, sorry need to update the web, that sold within a few hours, but I do have another one that will be serviceing shorlty Smile

Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Hello Everyone! I'm glad to have read this forum. Chris does excellent work, keeps you informed, has very good turn-around time, and charges a fair price for work that is done! He recently worked on 2 of my pocket watches to my utmost satisfaction. I will be sending more work to him and you should, too. he can be reached at - Email Abellwatchmakers@nctv.com or telephone (903) 245-6542

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Expertly serviced and new Breitling sapphire crystal installed by Master Watchmaker Mr. Chris Abell. Most watchmakers lack the necessary skills to service these more complicated watches.

Breitling Aviastar

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Chris also does some great jewelry. Made a ring for my wife that cost less than 1/2 of retail... and she loves it!

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Anyone notice all the 992E's Chris currently has for sale on his site?

http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/Newsalespage.htm

Regards! Mark

Picture of David Flegel
posted
I recently sent watches that needed work to Chris. When they were returned I was absolutely amazed at the quality of the work he does. One Hunter Case I sent came back in such marvelous condition, that it was hard to believe it was the same case that I sent to him. He had also replaced the movement and fine tuned it. He also gave an overhaul to a beautiful piece that I got from Phil. Phil had given me a great deal on this watch. Both these watches are center pieces of my collection. I showed them to a neighbour of mine who was absolutely amazed at the workmanship involved. It is no wonder that so many enjoy this club and its members.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Check out my you tube "CLIPS"

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Check out our "for sale" section Rolex GMT II, Omega James bond and more to come.

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
comment removed!

Bruce Byrd

IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
Chris, how's your workload? Smile

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thank you Bruce, I have one store that seems to send me all there ultra thin and tinniest ladies watches you have ever seen so get a few eye strainers in the shop regularly takes a bit more time and special cleaning methods.

HI Tom, Just about full to Christmas could squeeze a rush job or two in if needed, I expect I should have anything arriving now cleared by end of Jan -Feb
Happy Christmas to all my friends on 185 Smile.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
Chris, thanks! Is the shipping address at the top of the thread still correct?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Yes Tom,

Ship To

Chris Abell
PO Box 2070
Flint TX 75762

Thanks

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Can't add much more than to toss more praise on the pile for Chris's work.

He recently completely overhauled my Dad's 15j Lipton Oyster, even replacing a hard to find balance staff that was so worn the repalaced staff was hour glass shaped! It was still running when I sent it to Chris. Sturdy little movement, that one!

My Dad never had this watch serviced as far as I know, and he wore it daily from 1944 until 1978, receiving it as a HS graduation gift and wearing it in during his service in the Navy in WW2 (I have his graduation photo from the Navy Great Lakes boot camp in '44 wearing this watch with his uniform.)

Mom recently told me he always referred to it as just being his 'Navy watch'.

It was his 'railroad watch' too when he worked on the N&W as a time freight clerk in the late 40's, early 50's. (they were not required to carry standard watches in his position so the Lipton did the job)

IT was the only one I ever remember him owning until he received a 25th anniversery Accutron from Goodyear Atomic in 1978, when he retired the Lipton.

I got it from him in the mid 80's when he was cleaning out a dresser drawer.

The Lipton movement is actually a Rolex 15j movement, so it required Rolex parts.

All this to say, a LOT of family and sentimental connections to this little wrist watch.

Chris treated it like it was his own.

Chris also acquired a second balance staff to keep with the watch should another one ever be required in the future.

Top drawer service, and top drawer work. He's not listed as a 'watchmaker' here for nothing.

Regards! Mark

IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
Chris, did you get my e-mail?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Tom,

Can you re send it
Thanks