Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Size 12 Tiffany needs balance "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 708
posted
Hi All,

I have a Tiffany approximately size 12 pocketwatch that was a gift for my 50th birthday about 41/2 year ago. I ahve taken it to two local jewelers for cleaing and repair. Neither can find the parts - balance. The last watchmaker said it was a Breguet. It is in an 18k gold case and has a white dial with gold arabic numbers. I would appreciate any help form this great group in repairing this watch. I am picking it up today from the last jeweler so Idon't have pictures.

Thanks Steve Cohen

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Steve
Tiffany contracted with many high end watch companies.

Without a picture of the movement it is impossible to do anything.

You might have to have someone like Chris Abell who is a watchmaker make you a new part.If it is a balance wheel you will need to have people search for one as it would cost more than the watch to make.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Bob,

I am going to pick up the watch now and I will get as much information as I can. I will try to take pictures but I have been afraid to open the movement of such a nice watch!

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve,

When you get the watch if you want to send me a email with all the information you have on it I maybe able to help.

Thanks
Chris

Abellwatchmakers@nctv.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Chris,

I picked up the watch and dropped it off at a Tiffany Store near me. I am going to wait and see their estimate. I will share what I find out. The watchmaker did show me the broken balance though.

Steve Cohen

12-Size Expert
posted
Steve
Do you mean the balance staff or do you mean the balance wheel.

I hope Tiffanys estimate doesn't result in cardiac arrest

Bob

IHC Member 708
posted
Bob,

The balance wheel and I hope the estimate doesn't result in a cardiac arrest as well. I'll let you know via this post in about 7 days.

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Well it's seven days later and Tiffany was no help. They can't fix it either. they said the hairspring was broken or bent. the gentleman I talked said that once they saw the problem with the hairspring they stopped looking because they knew they couldn't fix it. I tried to open it myself but I couldn't. I am all thumbs. Any help wouls be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve,

Check your Email.

Chris

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 708
posted
Done,

Thanks Chris

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve,

Check your email again Smile

IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Chris for repairing my Tiffany watch and for the great pictures!

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
The movement

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
The case

Steve Cohen

posted
Steve,

fine watch and well done by Chris !

The movement is a 19j swiss made by Touchon & Co

If you want more informatio about it i've got a link: Touchon . (in text: http://www.touchon-watch.com/). The movement of your watch can be found there under 'The Bosun's whistle´.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Beautiful watch, Steve! I have not seen a bridge configuration like that before. And kudos to Chris for another outstanding repair!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A treasure of art and Horology. Congratulations for being with us and being able to restore it properly through the "magic hands" of Chris Abell.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Lordy, Lordy what a beautiful piece.... and Chris is the Houdini of Horology.... Eek Amazing, simply Amazing....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 708
posted
Thank you all for the nice comments about my watch. and definitely many thanks to Chris. I took the watch to three differnt local watchmakers including Tiffany's which has a store in this area and nobody would touch it! they all said they could not get the parts! I can't wait to get the watch back from Chris in a few days.

I am glad to be a member of this great group. I have learned so much.

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi all,

Well I have had the watch running for a few days now and looking good should be posting back shortly.
I added it to my web site with a short video of the hairspring SmileCLICK HERE if you want to see it.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice little video Chris, thanks for posting it & great looking watch Steven.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 708
posted
Nice video Chris and thanks again for fixing my watch and thanks Tom

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Gerald,

i finally went to the sight you listed. It was facinating! I didn't understand alot of it but I think Bosum's whistle is interesting.

Thanks

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The privilege of having a member of our group who "outshines" the claimed "watch making skills" of the likes of Tiffany (and many others I must add) is only one of the countless benefits we all share in our group.

Maybe we can make a new Cloisenne "FOB" Marked IHC185 "OWL Organization of Watch Lovers". The last one was nice, this one could be great!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 708
posted
David,

I love it and I would definitely buy some depending on the price of course

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I'll second that motion....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
David,

I joined this forum just a few days ago and i've seen just a small part of all the knowledge which has been brought to public during the last years, but i think you should create a watch fob as an order(non buyable) for persons who made this forum going: the lifetime members; the moderators and people like chris who share their knowledge to all.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
12-Size Expert
posted
The ebauche on your watch is one of my favorite.
I have seen on used for several different brands including Gueblin.

The Gueblin I have is 21J adjusted to 6 positions.

I have always assumed that the different companies bought the ebauche and finished it to their standard.

Bob

IHC Member 708
posted
Bob,
Thanks, I need to learn so much and i'm glad you like it.

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Chris,

I got the watch today. It's beautiful and I'm currently running it.

Thanks Again!

Steve Cohen

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everyone should read and contemplate every word of this topic.

Tiffany and Company said Steve's beautiful Tiffany watch could not be repaired... but Chris Abell made it well.

That defines the word WATCHMAKER my friends!

www.abellwatchmakers.com

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 708
posted
Lin,

I couldn't agree more!

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
maybe that's where the navy coined the phrase "abell seaman" for a skilled sailor LOL Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009