Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Request for Hamilton 974 private label I.D. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I would be grateful for corroboration of this timepiece with s#1044261 being RR grade -- or not, as the Database is inconclusive, and any info other than the one-liners I found on the Internet.
The p.l. is of Vail, Charles E., a jeweler from Westfield N.J. or Plainfield, N.J.

Thanks!
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Here is the movement:

IHC Member 1555
posted
Not RR Grade Ken, probably only trolley grade for electric tramline, some one with a bit more knowledge will hopefully elaborate, this has been disussed previously on many occassions.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Bila is correct. The things this 974 has going against it are it is pendant set, single roller and adjusted for temperature only. Also I think by 1913 when this watch was produced, most railroads required at least 19 jewels. To actually be RR approved the watch would have to be on the list of approve models for the individual RR so this would leave out all the private label ones.

If you check the Complete Price Guide, there is a good section on RR watches with several list of the ones that were approved.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thanks guys. I know of everything you mentioned, but I didn't put it together to answer my own question. A few upside the head slaps are in order, and it will never happen again - I hope!

Robert - Although grade 974s like the above could not be included, I read somewhere that private-label watches were sometimes used as loaners.

Cheers,
kh

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
For more information on "trolley car" 974's, check this out:

Hamilton Electric Special, Interurban Special and Electric Railway Special Watches

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004