Internet Horology Club 185
Request for Hamilton 974 private label I.D.

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/254108073/m/9283912087

October 06, 2013, 00:00
Ken Habeeb
Request for Hamilton 974 private label I.D.
I would be grateful for corroboration of this timepiece with s#1044261 being RR grade -- or not, as the Database is inconclusive, and any info other than the one-liners I found on the Internet.
The p.l. is of Vail, Charles E., a jeweler from Westfield N.J. or Plainfield, N.J.

Thanks!
kh

October 06, 2013, 00:02
Ken Habeeb
Here is the movement:

October 06, 2013, 06:48
Bila Wirriganwalters
Not RR Grade Ken, probably only trolley grade for electric tramline, some one with a bit more knowledge will hopefully elaborate, this has been disussed previously on many occassions.

Regards,
Bila
October 06, 2013, 20:05
Robert McClelland
Bila is correct. The things this 974 has going against it are it is pendant set, single roller and adjusted for temperature only. Also I think by 1913 when this watch was produced, most railroads required at least 19 jewels. To actually be RR approved the watch would have to be on the list of approve models for the individual RR so this would leave out all the private label ones.

If you check the Complete Price Guide, there is a good section on RR watches with several list of the ones that were approved.
October 08, 2013, 23:29
Ken Habeeb
Thanks guys. I know of everything you mentioned, but I didn't put it together to answer my own question. A few upside the head slaps are in order, and it will never happen again - I hope!

Robert - Although grade 974s like the above could not be included, I read somewhere that private-label watches were sometimes used as loaners.

Cheers,
kh
October 09, 2013, 09:33
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
For more information on "trolley car" 974's, check this out:

Hamilton Electric Special, Interurban Special and Electric Railway Special Watches

Best Regards,

Ed