• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A LOW NUMBER EARLY 992-B "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What we have here is one of the earliest 992-B's to surface (and it's a nice one).

Posts: 111 | Location: From the Heartland of America | Registered: February 17, 2005
posted
Get a closer look now.

Posts: 111 | Location: From the Heartland of America | Registered: February 17, 2005
posted
Back cover in the vicinity for viewing.

posted
Now we can go "topside."

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Wow!, it looks like the day it left the store! you have a piece there..and the pictures are quite professional, clear and sharp, congratulations both for your watch and your skill.

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Hello Larry,
Really a beautiful watch, and a very early production, do you have the history behind this watch, i.e. original owner, where purchased? This is the lowest s/n I've seen on this forum.

Extremely nice photos.

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Carlos--Thank you for the kind remarks--I have struggled much with digital photography.

Robert--Thank you. I purchased the watch from a friend (throw away the price guide). He is more of a watch trader than collector and obtained the watch from "an old man" by trading a solid gold Elgin of some sort for it. This older person had owned the watch for a long time and was offered $600 for it a few years ago, but declined back then. Not a very interesting background history and the watch has not spoken--wish I knew more!

Larry

posted
Larry,
Thanks for the wonderful images... looks like you've mastered the camera.

Great Watch.. !!! Everything is what I would expect to see and how it relates to other early examples.

posted
Larry,
I noticed the micro-adjustment in either black or blued, is this consistent with the early serial numbers? The others ones seem to be plated!

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
i think that is a lighting issue... these should all be polished metal... brite and shiny....

as i am certain this one is....

posted
That is correct. It is polished steel like all the others (not plated). Lighting is the problem here with the black appearance.
Larry

posted
Larry,
Thanks for correcting me, the lighting will definitely play tricks in photography. Do you think the company officials and employees had the opportunity to purchase the very low serial numbers of this new model in 1940? Just a thought!

Robert

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Hey Larry nice watch it would almost impossible to find one with a lower serial#...The price guide ain't even close on a watch like this.

this one answers the question if the serial#,s under 100 would have a 0 in front of the number this one is C 039 not C 39

I was hoping I would get to see a picture of this watch.. Smile Wink

GREAT PICTURES

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Really nice and Really early.

THanks for posting it.

Charlie

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Could this be earlier?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Hello Frank,
Thanks for sharing this very low s/n. Two double digit s/n's in two days, this is great.

Do you have any history on this watch that you would like to share? Maybe someone will show a single digit number someday!

Would you also care to post images of the case, complete movement, etc? Thanks is advance.

Robert

posted
Where U been hidin that one frank? Big Grin

any other info will be appreciated.....

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Would you believe this rarity?

Put on your shades and check this one, how low can you go?

Housed in a SOLID GOLD CASE 11 and has "8 Adjustments" marking!

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
You're too late for April Fool!

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
I fess up. I was late for April Fools and used Larry's picture to make an earlier watch! Big Grin

Frank "407" Kusumoto

posted
Frank,
Look at the post "Hamilton 992B Introduction Information" that I posted on this forum and you will see a "real" picture of C001.

Robert

IHC President
Life Member
posted

You got us Robert!

Right now Larry, Frank and I are on the phone together. We're having a good laugh. Larry is a good sport, hopefully all of us have had some fun. He is to be congratulated for his amazing find. Wink

Lindell

Larry's watch shown in the 1940-41 Catalog...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
I also had a big laugh, it is really nice to have a little fun with a nice group such as ours.

Robert

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Terry, Rob, Larry, et. al....,

Lindell and I were just having some fun, no malice/fraud intended. It DOES show you what a powerful tool Photoshop can be. Stare and Compare, nothing like having the watch in your hand. Caveat Emptor and all that stuff.

It actually does bring up a side issue that is not for this forum exactly, but I've bought some watches that were "CLEANED" up via photoshop so that rust, abonormalities, didn't show in the Ebay pic. The pic was of the watch, just "enhanced". Now I have no problem with taking a picture from the best angle, but actually toying with certain parts of the image to oblititerate or change change certain "rustful" parts of the watch seem to me to go beyond the pale. But as we've just shown, it is easily done.

Best regards,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

P.S.-And congrats to Larry for having such a great example of from what I've I seen is the lowest documented SN#. We all had a big laugh looking at my "photoshopped" image. Big Grin

posted
Eek At first I wasn't going to sleep well because TWO (2) earlier 992-B examples showed up so darn quickly yesterday......then I really couldn't sleep at all for trying to figure out how I'm going to get even with a certain pair of 185 chapter members! Razz

posted
LIN RIDDLE SELLS EARLY SERIAL HAMILTON TO FRANK KUSUMOTO!

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I was trying to figure out what eight positions would they adjust to.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Sundial adjusted to 6 positions...hummm.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Actually 8 adjustments refers to 5 positions plus temperature and isocronism. It really would be correct but Hamilton used that reference for only a comparatively few watches in the 1920s and never again so far as I'm aware.

The really scary part is that Frank and I with limited experience in retouching came up with fairly credible examples. It proves that someone who was really out to deceive could actually sell a non-existant watch to an unsuspecting buyer.

The "six-position sundial" is a good one!

What a fun topic! Big Grin

Smile