Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Letter of Introduction for Hamilton Model 15" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
This letter is courtesy of Don.

I commend Don for passing along all this valuable Hamilton information to our members.

It is really nice when you get to see company offical documents.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
I have an original Hamilton retail jeweler price list that is dated Sept. 15 1950, that lists the No.15 model in stainless steel. Retail $72.80. Other models listed are No.2 (gold filled and 14K) No.11 and No.A. The 950B is listed in either No.2 in 14K (!) and No.A.cases. The model 21 is listed as available as well.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
William,
If you could post that retail list right here in this forum I'm sure all the 992B collectors would really appreciate it.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Robert-I don't have a have a scanner nor a digital camera. I'll make a photocopy that you can post. Will need your address; email me at lasell2@msn.com. William

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I am curious why they did not mention the use of a plastic crystal to enhance the wear properties. They were Plastic crystals according to an earlier thread in the 992B reseach area. These cases are darn near bullet proof!

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
I would be very interested in any comments about this model #15 crown. It is a very early Star case serial number R1229xx, movement C300xxx. The crown has a rim made of aparently SS, but not found on other Hamilton cases. Was this leftover from an earlier model?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Matt,

The crown on your case looks to me like it may have originally came on one of the Star Stainless-Steel Cases made for Elgin in the 1950s time-frame. Hamilton Model 15 Cases which of course were also made by Star used a two-step crown design as you'll see shown in the image below. I tried to take this picture at essentially the same angle as yours so you could see not only the difference in the crown but how a proper crown will actually fit into the overall case design more precisely.

Hamilton Model 15 Crown and Bow Design...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for the mint image of the Mod. 15 Lindall. Perhaps, since it was an early Star case, Hamilton was supplied with an Elgin crown? (I'm not sure if the Elgin pre-dated the #15) A second theory is that the original was replaced later with a traffic special crown? The watch has many jewlers marks indicating regular service. Also, the bow pins have pointed ends instead of rounded and a tappered thickness bow towards the top.