Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model 9 RR Case "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Here's my latest acquisition from the bay. Bought it not running, luckily it only needed a mainspring.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
The case numbers all match. Case shows average wear with a small ding on back cover near the outside edge. There's some light brass showing at the upper edges of the crown. Overall I'm very pleased with the case condition especially since these models are hard to find.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Movement # 2574161 and Case # 805779. The 992 movement is clean and bright with GJS and a gold center wheel. From what I've read these numbers are consistent with this model and this is the first one I've seen with a Blind Man dial.

RR

posted
Nice find. These cases are truly hard to find. I think they were are a failure due to bad design, specifically the pendant part of case that holds the bow. It was thin and wore our prematurely. I owned one of these cases years ago and there was virtually nothing left to hold the bow. Your case here is about as nice an example as I've ever seen. I don't believe I have ever seen an advertisement for the model 9.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
William,

Thank you for your words and experience.

As far as advertisements for model 9 cases no one has reported or documented any I can find. However, there are Hamilton illustrations of the model #9 case. From information I've seen online it seems the case design started out as a 974 Traffic Special but later was used to house grade 992 movements that were becoming obsolete. The Model 9 watches may have been sold at a discount to railroads with stipulations and never marketed for the public.

I've observed online examples of model 9 cases with a switched bow and or crown. It's strange because it seems the rest of the case holds up well so it very well can be a design issue. The other possibility is they're just being used to the point of being worn out.

From what information I've came across the cases were made early 1930's and are either white or yellow gold filled. Total production of 2115 cases reported as 1466 yellow gold filled and 649 white gold filled.

Please correct or add as information is scarce about the case model 9. If researchers, owners, or people who have seen these models in hand report their observations we can all learn more.

Thanks,

RR

posted
The following link dated November, 2005 provides the illustration below and all the information and links I could find on IHC185 about the Hamilton case model #9.

Hamilton Railroad Model Cases

RR