• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Boxed 992b's "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have two boxed 992's, both of which are in Model 10 cases with HG dials. The serial numbers and case numbers of the watches match the labels on their respective boxes and are 1) C63,085/H622,264; 2)C24,159/H527161.

My question concern the HG dials, both of which are identified as HG, and are, but are nonetheless slightly different. The C63,085 has a DS HG dial and no RWS below "Hamilton" while the C24,153 has a SS HG dial with RWS below "Hamilton". Did a dial switch occur at some point on one of the watches and, if so, which of the HG dials is the correct one or is it possible that both could be either "right" or "wrong"?

Great forum. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowlege.

Posts: 35 | Location: Hagerstown, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: April 15, 2004
posted
Could be both are right ...

Hamilton was having problems with their double sunk porcelain dials on the early 992b and 950b, and tried some single sunk before going to the melamine dial. There is also the impact of the war years on production, which could have brought about use of the SS versions. Many of the Hammy experts are at the regional at Drawbridge, and hopefully can share more.

Generally, people who keep their watches in the original boxes do not switch out dials & cases, so I would think their is every reason to believe both watches are original.

Charlie

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Hello Malcolm,
Based on the description of your early 992B dial, I believe you have a model 080 dial which is shown below.

The HG (Heavy Gothic) on your label only identifies the numerial style and not the actual model or part number of the dial.

If you could post an image of your later dial, it would help to identify it.

Robert

-Credit goes to Don for this image-

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Thank you both for you response to my question. I'm on a learning curve with 992b's and greatly appreciate your help.

Mr. Sweet - I would love to post an image but haven't yet mastered the process. The C63,085 dial is exactly like the 519 dial that I saw on one of Tref Young's previous posts where he had the 992b dials pictured and identified. Is the 519 in the right time frame?

Again, thank you both.

posted
Malcolm,
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the 519 is a pre-992B HG DS enamel dial. The 536 dial is same as 519, but includes the RWS signature.

It (appears) that you have the 519 dial, but still again a image would be very helpful.

It's really not that difficult to post an image, just click on the "CLICK" TO ADD IMAGE ATTACHMENT, and browse your hard drive for the image. Just make sure it doesn't exceed the maximum size (< 222 kb).

Below is an image of the 519.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Hopefully, an image.

jpg

posted
What can I say - hopefully this time I'll get the right image.

posted
Malcolm,
I would conclude that your dial is a model 519. What is the opinion of others?

Robert

posted
Mr. Sweet,

Thanks for the advice on image posting and your comments on the dial.

Sorry about the cat, have no idea how I did that.