• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4992b Hamilton Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a hamilton 4992b with a white 24 hour dial that is sporting the english military arrow??? below the 12 and marked hamilton by the seconds bit. My question is if the english marked 4992b are worth any more than the standard 4992b's or not? I have put an offer into the guy for them, but if theres a significant price difference, I may just up the ante and try to get the lot bought. I am attaching a photo of a similar dial I found.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jared

I am no expert on these but are you certain it is not a 3992B, those are worth a lot more & I believe often have the broad arrow dial. If you search 3992B here you will see many with the dial.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom-

I thought about that too, but the guy told me again tonight that it is marked 4992b from reading it on the movement... I may just have to look at them. He is going to wait for a couple weeks and see if he gets any other offers on the watches and said he would call me back. I'm guessing the guy was thinking big money and the lot of 3 watches aren't anything too special except for the 4992b. Hopefully he calls me back and gives me a chance to look at them before selling. It was basically a sight unseen cell phone pics and call and offer on the watches...

Jared

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jared, good luck, if you get to see them let me know, I am just curious. As I said I only know enough about these to be dangerous.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom-

Me too. Thats why I was hoping to get some extra insight here.

Jared

posted
Jared, as much as I´d like to believe the watch was a 4992b, I don´t think it is though...Have a look at mine;
Hamilton 3992b

You should have asked your question in the Military Timepiece Discussions - EXCLUSIVE!

Then you might find out more!

Regards

Werner

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Ok, so I have some better pics now. It is obviously a 4992b movement.

posted
Here is the dial on the same watch. Is this original by chance? I know there was discussion that all 4992B's came with 23 hour dials, but I know that these dials came on the 3992b as original. I now live within an hour of the canadian border, so could it be a canadian version of the 4992b to be used like the 3992b? I know this is the british version dial, but i dont know why else it would be in North Dakota?

Thanks,

Jared

posted
Another dial shot.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
It's another "converted" 4992B, this time using a 3992B dial.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed-

Figured so. Does the dial have a higher value due to being for a 3992b or not?

Thanks,

Jared

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes, I would assume so, but I haven't researched it.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004