WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 3992B Master Deck Watch issued to the Royal Navy "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here´s an interesting and fairly rare piece. A Hamilton 3992B American made, British issued 1942 Master Deck Watch.
As WW2 continued, the supply of Swiss watches were all but cut off, the Admiralty looked across the Atlantic for replacements.
Hamilton of Lancaster, PA, USA was a suitable choice. The watches were made to American standards and appropriatly marked. Once delivered to the Chronometer Section of the Royal Hydrographic Dept. stationed in Herstmonceaux Castle, they were superimposed with the HS standard mark and the crowsfoot. The Master Deck Watch was the second most important watch on the bridge, if the ships chronometer was damaged or failed, the master deck watch would be the replacement reference for all other timepieces.
The master deck watch was important enough to be taken into the collection of watches and clocks of the National Maritime Museum, London. It is their description I have adapted for my deck watch, changing only the engravings and numbers, to suit my deck watch;

Hamilton 3992B Master Deck Watch issued to the Royal Navy

A mahogany deck box fitted with two brass hinges and a simple pressed-brass clip-type catch. The top is glazed with a circular 'porthole' on the upper surface. The box is lined with black imitation leather in the lid and lower half, shaped to the form of the watch. The lid has an open-ended clear plastic cover on the inside to hold an issue card and the recess in the lower half, above the watch.

The bottom of the box is also covered with black imitation leather. The chromium-plated nickel, open-face case has the winding/setting crown inset into a wide pendant, with a flat, shaped bow. Pulling out the winding button stops the watch (light spring against the balance) and engages the set-hands facility. The convex 'unbreakable' glass is held in a screw-down, knurled, chromium-plated nickel bezel. The nickel, screw-down back is machine engraved on the back 'NAVIGATION / MASTER WATCH / MFR'S PART NO.3992B / SERIAL NO. 1906-1942 / HAMILTON WATCH CO. / H.S. 3'. The inside of the back is stamped with the case manufacturer's mark 'KEYSTONE', 'CO' in a shield, 'BASE METAL' and '570663'.

A white enamel dial of 43 mm Æ is marked with the Government broad arrow above the centre, and signed 'HAMILTON' below. The dial has vertical Arabic numerals and small vertical Arabic five-minute figures. Polished and black-finished steel spade and poker-hands have a counter-balanced blued-steel centre seconds hand.

The going barrel, barred movement is of bright, damascened, nickel, and is signed with black enamel-filled engraving on the barrel bridge 'HAMILTON / WATCH CO. / U.S.A' and 'ADJ. TEMP. / AND 6 / POSITIONS'. The escape/fourth wheel bridge is marked '3992 B / 22 JEWELS / U.S. GOVT '. It is also marked on the main plate, by the balance cock foot '3C2137'. A polished steel index, mounted on the balance cock, acts on a lateral screw for fine rating adjustment. The index has a scale under it, engraved with 'F' and 'S' for fast and slow. There is a four-wheel train with a centre seconds drive off the third wheel and a going barrel.

There is a double roller, jewelled and club tooth lever escapement. The impulse roller has a clear jewelled impulse pin and pallets with clear stones. The pallets bank against brass banking pins. The uncut balance is mounted with 20 brass screws around the rim. The flat spiral, 'Hamilton Elinvar Extra' balance spring, with over coil, has an index mounted on the upper surface of the balance cock as described. The train is jewelled to the centre (22 jewels in total) with red stones in brass press-in settings. The balance and escape wheel have end stones.

The instrument is in fine, almost as new condition.

Regards,

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
That's a great looking deck watch. Does this watch suggest the next direction of your collection? Thank you for the images.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg, I have 6 Deck watches/chronometers in mahogany cases, 5 ships Chronometers and about 2 dozen "normal" deck watches which I can call my own, so as you write; Does this watch suggest the next direction of your collection?...It was always my intension to collect military,whether marine, airforce, or army timepieces (and anything to do with military observation and timing).But I must admit my collection is coming along fine! Wink

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009