Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 974 Special Question. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have 3 Hamilton 974 Special movements of which one is a complete watch. The other two are running movements.
Two have black inscriptions on the movement sn 2551085 and 2535389 and the balance wheels are the same, split.
The other one has been over cleaned and the inscriptions on the movement seem to be a washed out gold color. The sn is 2538350 and the balance wheel is a metal color and is not split.
Does anyone know if the Hamilton changed the balance wheel and put a solid balance wheel in the 974 Special? If not this one is going back.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Harry,

what is the color of the hairspring? The balance/hairspring combo may be an Elinvar replacement.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Kevin it is a silver color.

posted
Harry,

the elinvar type alloys are silver in color, although I believe some of the earlier versions were colored blue to emulate the traditional steel. My guess is the balance is a replacement.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Kevin. Do you have any idea if this would hurt the value of this movement? The seller says it is keeping accurate time but he did not say the balance had been replaced and he sales enough watches where he would have known it was not original. I have heard the Elinvar hairspring was not any good but I have no personal knowledge of this.

posted
I don't know if it would or not. Most collectors like originality. Maybe the balance itself has value, but most movements are hurt in value with a replaced balance. The earlier Elinvar springs were supposed to be a bit of a disappointment, but the later Elinvar extra used on the 992b was the cat's meow. Maybe the Hamilton gurus can add some extra light.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Harry,

You've got an incorrect Elinvar balance in your 974 Special that someone transplanted from a later watch. This effectively reduces it to parts watch status as far as collectibility is concerned.

I'm moving this topic to the Hamilton forum, which is where it belongs.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Ed and Kevin.
Harry