• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992-B & 950-B--What Do They Have In Common? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Pictured are two Hamilton watches--a 992-B (left) and a 950-B (right). Now they both have differences of: case models, dials, hands and, obviously, the movements inside. So what could these two very popular Hamilton railroad watches share in common?

The answer a bit later. Care to guess now what it is?

Larry

Posts: 111 | Location: From the Heartland of America | Registered: February 17, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hmmmmm...

Could it be the same number following the letter prefix?

If so, that would be the height of cool.

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Well Lin, that didn't take very long. You must have had some "INSIDE" (pun intended) information. The two movements have identical serial numbers (8003) aside from their necessary "C" and "S" prefixes. What are the odds of accomplishing this, I wonder? Anyway, here are the movements!

Larry

Posts: 111 | Location: From the Heartland of America | Registered: February 17, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wow, I'm rarely correct with my guesses. Big Grin

Very interesting, I should think the odds are very high against such a find. With about 525,000 of the one and some 27,000 of the other I'd say it's nearly impossible!

That is the height of cool Larry. Cool

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Really cool Larry.

I had wondered if anyone had tried to put together a 992 and a 992b with the same numbers, but never considered doing so with 950b & 992b.

A nice pair for sure Wink

Charlie

posted
Charles & Lindell, It just happened when I found the 950-B and remembered I had owned that number in a 992-B for a long time. Not something that I set out to do at all. I guess if you tried to do this, it would never happen.
Regards,
Larry

posted
Kind of interesting that the 950 being later has no gold center wheel or jewel settings and the 992 does.

I know it is bue to the 950 being newer I just thought it was interesting.

Nice pair.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Aaron and others,

Your knowledge is correct as the 950-B (S-8003) is of 1950 production, while the 992-B (C-8003) was manufactured early in 1941, according to the most-reliable Gelson list.

There were many changes implemented in those nine or so years at Hamilton. Examining a 1950 example of a 992-B movement would reveal the same cost-savings applied to its components, I'm sure.

Best regards,
Larry