Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

954L questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I just got another Hamilton, a 16s 17 jewel 954L.What a sharp looking movement this is, has a fancy zigzag damaskeen pattern, gold settings and balance screws, 2-screw crown wheel and damaskeened winding wheels.I know these are not too common,I know it's pretty much the same as a 972 but with a different pattern on the plates.This has the standard double sunk heavy Arabic railroad dial on it.Were these ever sold as a movement only,I've seen ads for them in factory gold & gold-filled cases.I know they were RR approved at the time they were made.I got mine uncased, I'm getting a nice long-pendant YGF case it will look right at home in.They don't seem to turn up very often, most of the ones I've seen were not in Hamilton cases, that's why I'm wondering if some came out of the factory for sale uncased. Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Ted,
Here's a line from a former post about cased watches from Hamilton.

"There were some watches that were cased earlier at the Hamilton factory. For example, in 1915 the 950, 990, 994 954, 956 and 952 were sold cased. Only the 954 and 956 were sold cased only."

Lots are now in other cases or uncased due to wear or melted for the gold.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Steve!

posted
According to Hamilton notes on the 954, when the 954 stock was closed out in 1917 and 1918 most of the lever set models were sold as movements only to Norris-Alister Ball Co. in Chicago for $13.00.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Robert,
Do the notes give any serial numbers on the closed out stock, or just say the remaining stock?

Just wondering.

Steve

posted
Steven, there are no serial numbers listed for the closed out stock.
Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Bob!

Steve

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Bob & Steve, I've heard of Gelson's Hamilton list, but I haven't heard of another, is that online anywhere? Thanks again, Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Another 954 question just came to me: has anyone seen an ad that shows the movement?The one I've seen only shows the whole cased watch but no picture of the movement.

posted
Ted, Hamilton compiled and recorded information from their records on many of the watches that had been produced.

I did not find an ad showing the 954 movement, but here is a page from the 1914 Hamilton Timekeeper that shows the movement.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Bob, much appreciated! Take care, Ted.