• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Originallity of 1924 Hamilton 992 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does this watch have the correct case and dial?
I cannot post photos but it is serial number 2314387.
The Wadsworth crossbow case is number 6963054.
The dial appears to be a blind man DS # 576.

I used all the information provided by this excellent forum and believe this watch is period correct however I would like clubs opinion to be certain.
Thanks!
Bob

Posts: 25 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: April 06, 2011
posted
photo2

posted

posted
Looks the photos uploaded after all...this forum is the best!!

IHC Member 1338
posted
Looks like a CPR to me watch should have the CPR dial on it (click the link)

SEE THE CPR WATCH

That blindman dial, to me, belongs on later 992s and 992Es

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Who knows? The case is a 1924, according to the Gelson list the movement is a 1925 and it has one of the 992 dials so I am guessing it could be original but who knows for sure without the box it came in. I do believe it is period correct.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
It could have the BM dial on it too, personally I like the CPR dial on the crossbar case when I sell them I can back the setup with factory ads so they are definitely "non argumentative"

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Thank you gentleman,I value your opinions and appreciate you taking time time to respond to my request. You have put my mind at ease!
Bob

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Bob,

Both your "Blind-Man's Dial" (Believe it or not, that really is what Hamilton called it, in later years "BM" was used as description and others were called "HG" for "Heavy Gothic" in advertising.) and the "Canadian Pacific Railway" or "CPR" dial are indeed "period-correct" for your "Crossbar" case and your 2314387 movement.

Many us, like Tom are drawn to watches that are shown in advertising, that can add to enjoyment and makes for considerable ease when it comes time to sell.

Your Case Number 6963054 dates neatly to 1924 right here where we can establish authenticity of cases and movements...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/...254108073/m/86410695

Thanks for sharing your "Crossbar" which is from the first year of the first model of the immensely popular "Bar-Over-Crown" cases!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Lindell,
thanks for your reply and sharing your experience with us all!
Without the vast information that is avalible from this club I could not be as involved in the hobby as I am now.Thank you all.

I have another Hamilton that I can use everyones guidance on,an early 992b perhaps a "civilian" model? I will start a new post for that one and hope you all have time to respond.
Thanks again'
Bob