WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

60mm Brass 6 jewel Cylinder escapement Stop Watch, circa??? old! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
60mm Brass 6 jewel Cylinder escapement Stop Watch, circa??? old!

What an interesting piece to open and service. Works like a champ... ran 1 second fast on a 10 minute run.

Hands are hand made. Screws are flame blued. Cylinder escapement. Wolf tooth click. Wind stop mechanism. Starts and stops with a slider to interfere with the balance. Self contained 4 Jewel balance assembly with 2 jewel escape. Staked flat hairspring.

(edit) I probably should have put this in the European watch section.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Good look at the slider and winding disc

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
The stainless spring steel rides a post down to contact the balance to start and stop

IHC Member 1736
posted
Cool click. I couldn't find it to let down the spring... so that is why the bridge came apart before the balance assembly

IHC Member 1736
posted
Under the plate. The only identification marks of any kind are 2 2 5 on this plate... and 2 5 on the bottom of the other plate.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Interesting that the lower balance jewel is contained in a base that is keyed and screwed to the top plate. The balance assembly is a stand alone unit.

IHC Member 1736
posted
ain't been off in awhile... It was interesting to find the balance jewels are capped bringing this watch up to 6 jewels.

Several of the components had these parallel match marks... The best I can figure is that they mean "this side goes to the plate".

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Paul,

Very interesting indeed! thank you for sharing the images of this great timepiece.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Paul,

That's a wacky 10 minute timer! I wonder what is was made for? An oven timer for cornbread ? Looks like 1870-1880 ?

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
horse racing timer

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
William,

My best guess is also in that 1870-1880 time frame. The case does not have gimble mounting so I think the marine application is out.

It is actually quite friendly to carry and works great held in the hand or laid flat on it's back.

It's found a new home on the kitchen island as a stove top timer.

I'd love to hear some one chime in to say they recognize a unique attribute like the click, the stop works or the balance and escape to help narrow down the time frame or even a watch maker.

I totally forgot to get a photo of the front side... the mechanism for resetting the hands to zero is genius in it's simplicity.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In 1881 serious time studies were reported in use at American Steel companies. No doubt this idea emerged from earlier routines by Europeans (likely Germany) who used time studies to schedule many things military and industrial.

I would expect this was used in Europe somewhere for such time studies. I would guess the 1870s'. Paul if you give me a call, I can suggest how you can get the stop works functionally back together.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1736
posted
Came out good on the stop works Dave... 3-1/2 turns on the winder, every time... like clock work.