Internet Horology Club 185
60mm Brass 6 jewel Cylinder escapement Stop Watch, circa??? old!

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/9973921387

August 09, 2014, 19:58
Paul D. Trombley

What an interesting piece to open and service. Works like a champ... ran 1 second fast on a 10 minute run.

Hands are hand made. Screws are flame blued. Cylinder escapement. Wolf tooth click. Wind stop mechanism. Starts and stops with a slider to interfere with the balance. Self contained 4 Jewel balance assembly with 2 jewel escape. Staked flat hairspring.

(edit) I probably should have put this in the European watch section.

August 09, 2014, 19:59
Paul D. Trombley
Good look at the slider and winding disc

Paul D. Trombley
The stainless spring steel rides a post down to contact the balance to start and stop

Paul D. Trombley
Cool click. I couldn't find it to let down the spring... so that is why the bridge came apart before the balance assembly

Paul D. Trombley
Under the plate. The only identification marks of any kind are 2 2 5 on this plate... and 2 5 on the bottom of the other plate.

Paul D. Trombley
Interesting that the lower balance jewel is contained in a base that is keyed and screwed to the top plate. The balance assembly is a stand alone unit.

Paul D. Trombley
ain't been off in awhile... It was interesting to find the balance jewels are capped bringing this watch up to 6 jewels.

Several of the components had these parallel match marks... The best I can figure is that they mean "this side goes to the plate".

August 09, 2014, 21:29
Serge Barlas
Paul,

Very interesting indeed! thank you for sharing the images of this great timepiece.

Kindest regards,

Serge
August 10, 2014, 03:55
William D. White
Paul,

That's a wacky 10 minute timer! I wonder what is was made for? An oven timer for cornbread ? Looks like 1870-1880 ?

William
August 10, 2014, 13:23
Peter Kaszubski
horse racing timer
August 10, 2014, 13:35
Paul D. Trombley
William,

My best guess is also in that 1870-1880 time frame. The case does not have gimble mounting so I think the marine application is out.

It is actually quite friendly to carry and works great held in the hand or laid flat on it's back.

It's found a new home on the kitchen island as a stove top timer.

I'd love to hear some one chime in to say they recognize a unique attribute like the click, the stop works or the balance and escape to help narrow down the time frame or even a watch maker.

I totally forgot to get a photo of the front side... the mechanism for resetting the hands to zero is genius in it's simplicity.
August 10, 2014, 15:58
David Abbe
In 1881 serious time studies were reported in use at American Steel companies. No doubt this idea emerged from earlier routines by Europeans (likely Germany) who used time studies to schedule many things military and industrial.

I would expect this was used in Europe somewhere for such time studies. I would guess the 1870s'. Paul if you give me a call, I can suggest how you can get the stop works functionally back together.
August 12, 2014, 19:12
Paul D. Trombley
Came out good on the stop works Dave... 3-1/2 turns on the winder, every time... like clock work.