Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help With Verge Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,
I was in an antique shop a couple of weeks ago and I came across this incomplete verge with an exposed balance. It is missing the dial and a number of parts from under the dial, but even though I realise I am unlikely to ever be able to repair it, I still couldn't say no. Does anyone have photos or information on anything similar, so I can have some understanding as to what parts I might be missing and what the dial may have looked like? There are no obvious markings on either the case or movement which doesn't help.
Cheers
Geoff

Posts: 24 | Location: Adelaide in South Australia | Registered: July 15, 2009
posted
Back of the movement

IHC Member 1954
posted
I have a bunch of verge fusee's and have repaired dozens of them.i have never seen one like you have there.any chance of a picture showing from the side of the movement.

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
posted
Hi Victor,
Here is one photo from the side.
From looking more closely at the movement, I have noticed a couple of things
1. The advance/retard indicator in the back or the watch rotates the steel plate under the balance which has a set of curb pins on it to lengthen/shorten the hairspring
2. There is a shaft protruding through the dial plate which is driven off the teeth of the fuse cone, I assume this is where the hands would have mounted.
3. The wolf tooth gear, large gear and mounted spring on the right hand side of the dial plate, I have no idea what they would be for....

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Your watch likely is a French verge fusee, circa 1800, with the unusual feature of a balance wheel exposed in the upper part of the dial

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005