Internet Horology Club 185
Help With Verge Pocket Watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/9643919587

July 29, 2015, 00:53
Geoff Osborne
Help With Verge Pocket Watch
Hi All,
I was in an antique shop a couple of weeks ago and I came across this incomplete verge with an exposed balance. It is missing the dial and a number of parts from under the dial, but even though I realise I am unlikely to ever be able to repair it, I still couldn't say no. Does anyone have photos or information on anything similar, so I can have some understanding as to what parts I might be missing and what the dial may have looked like? There are no obvious markings on either the case or movement which doesn't help.
Cheers
Geoff

July 29, 2015, 00:55
Geoff Osborne
Back of the movement

July 30, 2015, 22:44
Victor Kienas
I have a bunch of verge fusee's and have repaired dozens of them.i have never seen one like you have there.any chance of a picture showing from the side of the movement.
August 03, 2015, 02:12
Geoff Osborne
Hi Victor,
Here is one photo from the side.
From looking more closely at the movement, I have noticed a couple of things
1. The advance/retard indicator in the back or the watch rotates the steel plate under the balance which has a set of curb pins on it to lengthen/shorten the hairspring
2. There is a shaft protruding through the dial plate which is driven off the teeth of the fuse cone, I assume this is where the hands would have mounted.
3. The wolf tooth gear, large gear and mounted spring on the right hand side of the dial plate, I have no idea what they would be for....

August 06, 2015, 02:13
Ethan Lipsig
Your watch likely is a French verge fusee, circa 1800, with the unusual feature of a balance wheel exposed in the upper part of the dial